Which cable do I need for my MBP

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought a WD passport on ebay and it did not come with any cables. It is the passport 500gb studio at this link:
My Passport Studio 500 GB Triple Interface Hard Drives ( WDMT5000 )
Just wondering which firewire cable I need to buy to make it compatible with my MBP. I can't tell if my MBP has the 400 or 800 size port. It is the 2.2 MBP Core 2 Duo (not the newest ones that are out now but the gen before).
thanks a ton
jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB Ram Running Snow Leopard
It most likely has the older (larger) sized firewire port. You should be able to check your specs with your serial number on the apple website to know for sure. I used to have the 2.2ghz model and it had the older firewire cord.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check out this Wikipedia article for guidance IEEE 1394 interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The various types of Firewire are discussed along with pictures of each connector. There is a picture of a Firewire 800 connector in that section of the article. Look at the tip only. Ignore the large area at the rear of the picture.

As an alternative look at the back of your drive and see if the connections are marked. Most of them are and it should be possible to compare it to the connector on your Mac. The Firewire 400 connector is larger and more rectangular than a Firewire 800 connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.