How can I display MP3 info in Finder in List mode?

Reaction score
Windows does it, so should Mac.

Is there a way to customize the meta-data used to make the columns in Finder's list mode? I want to be able to sort a list of files in Finder by artist or album.

Although I use iTunes primarily to organize my music, my MP3 player, for whatever reason, does not sync up with iTunes directly. When I am managing MP3s on that player, I need to be able to see what artists I am adding or deleting and do it on a large scale.

Would I have to do this through some kind of custom script or is there a program that will allow me to do this directly? I tried PathFinder but it does not pull the meta-data I need. I tried AudioFinder and MP3-Info, but both of those require a right click to see MP3 info. I want to see the info IN FINDER.

Thread on this problem: Show metadata in the Finder - Aqua Taskforce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Windows does it, so should Mac.

Oooh ooh.. Just for fun I want to be the first to say it ! Hold on... .. waaait for it.. waaaaaait...

OS X isn't Windows. There ! I said it ! Whoooo hoooo !

Sorry. Just I've never had the opportunity to say it before. Fun ain' it ? Ok.
(just pullin yer' leg n' havin a bit O' fun)

So You're looking for a way to make Finder display every bit of metadata in photos and music which even some proprietary programs won't do ? You want finder to display the f stop, metering method, exposure mode, shutter speed, ISO speed etc for your RAW files right ?

I wish it would do that too. Could you please show an example (because I can't remember back that far) of how Widows does it in Explorer ? Just for the sake of reference.

Just curious though, why not use a dedicated piece of software for your RAW files such as Lightroom or Aperture etc ?

As for music files, how exactly do you have your folders set up to begin with ? Just curious. Maybe there's an easier way to go about doing what you're doing. BTW.. for the record, I understand where you're coming from.. but realize that you might not be able to do what you want exactly. In lieu of such a realization, let's try and make the most of what you've been given and figure out a solution that doesn't make you feel like you have to start from scratch.

I'm sure it's possible to do.

Doug.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a non-apple MP3 player (Palm Pre) that does not sync directly with iTunes when I plug it into my computer. To put music on it I have to drag and drop from iTunes to Finder. I have a set folder for music on the Pre to try and keep it a bit organized.

When I want to remove an MP3 from the Pre, I browse the device using Finder and have to look for the specific filename (which does not always have the artist in the name). If I want to delete all music by a specific artists I have to look file by file to identify the correct file.

I would have a much easier time managing the MP3s on this device if I could see artist, album and track names as columns in finder. In windows explorer if you right click on the column headings a list appears of all the different types you can add. You can't add custom columns but there are several options that are useful for both picture and music file organization.

I am a recent convert from PC to mac and am surprised that there is no function built into the operating system for ease of media management. iTunes is useful for most of that, but it doesn't seem set up to handle non apple products.

Thanks for any help you can provide. In my many searches to solve this I found lots of people who want this same thing. You will be helping the world. Go you.

Reaction score
Holy cow doug b, why were you sooooo rude to this guy? It's actually a really typical problem that would be REALLY useful for several reasons.

Can you explain this level of snobbiness? please reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
iTunes is useful for most of that, but it doesn't seem set up to handle non apple products.

Kinda the crux of the issue right here... The major reason that they don't bother supporting non-Apple products is because they see no need for anyone to use a non-Apple product.

Technologist has the right option for you right there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Holy cow doug b, why were you sooooo rude to this guy? It's actually a really typical problem that would be REALLY useful for several reasons.

Can you explain this level of snobbiness? please reply

Honest guess... Because a lot of people get tired of "like Windows does" as a statement of what's missing in OS-X.

Reaction score
That's kinda valid, and his initial unfunny joke would have addressed that, but it didn't stop there, did it. The dude totally just gave him **** for this problem without thinking about why he may need this. I am definitely on Mac's side 90% of the time, but the fact that you can't see artist names in finder has nothing to do with defending Mac.

Windows Media Player is only slightly more wonky and terrible than iTunes. This dude (and the second guy to respond to the original poster) acts like there is no issue and that the guy asking the question should go kill himself for wanting to avoid a big sluggish program just to move files around?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.