question for Snow leopard server users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi all,

This question is specifically for people who are using SL server. If you are using Leopard server and what I ask is doable feel free to respond, otherwise I really only want SL based information.

Ok, here's my question:

On Tiger OSX Server, the front end gui for configuring DNS for both forward and reverse DNS was geared toward control over a full class C or better (basically non-subnetted IP ranges, if you attempted to reverse for a subnet of a class C, you had to go into command line to setup the configuration to make it work).

I at home have a /28 subnet of live IP addresses. My upstream requires me to handle my own DNS, both forward and reverse (no big deal really, except for acting as authoritative for reverse on a subnet isn't always the most fun configuration).

Does SL server DNS configuration tool offer the capability to configure reverse DNS based upon a subnet without having to go into command line to set it up. I obviously can do the reverse on command line (since I have before), but once you majorly tweak the DNS configuration files, it kinda breaks the guis ability to edit the DNS and for quick things sometimes I just like to access the configuration panels from my Mac Pro without having to telnet or remote into the server.

I'm seriously considering upgrading my server with a new mac mini server, but I wanted to get some insight into whether some of these capabilities have changed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.