Problem with downloading from iTunes store

Reaction score
It’s my first attempt to download anything from iTunes store. I’m trying to download an application, and I get such a message:

iTunes could’t download your purchase.

You don’t have write access for your iTunes Media folder or a
folder within it. Change permissions (in the Finder) and then
choose Store > Check for Avaliable Downloads.

I’ve checked permissions, and my user has read&write access. After searching in the Internet I’ve tried to change group and just to apply read&write permissions to all enclosed items. Everything is still the same.

Here is the ~/Music/iTunes directory listing:

drwxr-xr-x 11 smmurf staff 374 29 дек 14:36 .
drwx------ 5 smmurf staff 170 29 дек 11:15 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smmurf staff 12292 29 дек 09:47 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 smmurf staff 136 29 дек 02:41 Album Artwork
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smmurf staff 262663 29 дек 14:36 iTunes Library
-rw-r--r-- 1 smmurf staff 12288 29 дек 14:32 iTunes Library Extras.itdb
-rw-r--r-- 1 smmurf staff 32768 6 окт 19:01 iTunes Library Genius.itdb
drwxr-xr-x+ 7 smmurf staff 238 28 дек 13:03 iTunes Media
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 smmurf staff 136 29 дек 09:46 iTunes Music
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smmurf staff 1502242 29 дек 14:36 iTunes Music Library.xml
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smmurf staff 8 29 дек 14:32 sentinel

I also used Disk Utility to check and repair permissions on the disk, some permissions were repaired but nothing changed.

Then I moved whole iTunes folder, so that Music folder was empty, and then imported all media into iTunes back, so that all folders were recreated. It had no effect, so I moved original folder back to keep ratings.

Also I checked that iTunes runs from my user and my user has write permissions in iTunes folder and subfolders.

Even more — I’ve created a new user, logged in the store and tried to download an app. And I still have the same problem.

And that is not all.
Now I’ve tried to authorize computer, and now I get such a message:

There was an error storing your authorization information on this computer.

The required file was not found or has a permission error. Correct this permission problem and try again, or deauthorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed.

I’m absolutely puzzled and have no idea what else to do. Any propositions are welcome.

Apps can be downloaded with iPod, but I want to use iTunes too.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I can only think of three things that might work for this. Firstly, do you have an Itunes store account with a valid credit card/ gift card/ other payment method? If you don't you can't download anything that requires payment (or anything if there is no number entered). A second thing you could do is update iTunes if you don't have the most recent version. The final option is to just download using your iPod. I realize it can get slow or just be plain annoying, but if nothing else works, then its all yo really can do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've checked for updates at first, and I'm trying to download free content.
Anyway, thanks.

Reaction score
Same Problem

I've also stumbled across this problem. It started happening to me when I migrated my account over from an old computer (didn't want to lose all my data). And I'm curious if you can think of anything that would have triggered this to start happening for you?

I found some helpful info @ apple support pertaining to permissions and wondering if it helps you at all?

Mac OS X 10.5: Renaming or saving after using "Apply to enclosed items" on a Home folder

After I run the "sudo chmod -RN ~" command, it does remove the ACLs, as the "+" disappears. ("drwxrwxr-x" vs "drwxrwxr-x+") Unfortunately, I'm still running into the ITunes message and thinking that I may not be checking permissions on the right download folder. How do you know/check to see what folder ITunes is trying to use for Downloads?

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, my problems are after migration, really... But I've never tried to download anything before migration, maybe problem is here.
I'll try running chmod a bit later and then I'll write if it helps me or not.

Reaction score
Good news. Seems that after all the permissions work, the issue was resolved after one easy step: remove the /Users/Shared/SC Info directory and restart.

1. In the top finder bar, go to GO > Go to Folder (Shift+Cmd+G)
2. Type in "/Users/Shared/SC Info"
3. Switch to Column View if you're not in it already
4. Delete the "SC Info" folder
5. Restart

Or, if you're OK in the terminal, type this in from the command line:
rm /Users/Shared/SC\ Info

Hope that helps!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you very much!
I don't have my installation disc now to run "repair permissions", but I will try as soon as I can, thank you very much again, I hope it helps without reinstalling OS X.

Reaction score
worked like a charm

this solution worked. why I don't know. but i felt compelled to register here just so I could say thanks.

Reaction score
thanks

I also took the trouble to register just to say "thanks" for the useful tip.

Reaction score
This solution worked.

I registered to say THANKS. This solution worked for me (I'm using iTunes 10.4, and had migrated from another computer). Again, thanks!

Reaction score
Im having the same issue but when I go to the Go option and search for /Users/Shared/SC Info I get nothing. Did I do something wrong or am I missing something if some on could get back to me that would be great. I really want to fix this problem I can't put most of the music I had on to my Ipod/Iphone. Another thing that may have messed my Itunes up is that I originally bought the music I cant use/listen to on my Ipod on a desktop computer (not a mac) Would that possibly be the problem? Thanks in advance to your help.

Reaction score
Thank you as well

Worked like a charm, and I had been looking for quite some time.

Reaction score
Thank You Juelles

Works like a treat. I'd been trying to sort the problem for about 8 months. I'd figured it was a migration issue because iTunes worked fine on my Mac Book & office iMac just not on my home iMac. I always new it would be something simple. Thanks you for taking the trouble to post this. Like some of the others I just joined up to say thanks.

Reaction score
Issue Resolved- Thanks, Juellez!

Good news. Seems that after all the permissions work, the issue was resolved after one easy step: remove the /Users/Shared/SC Info directory and restart.

5. Restart

Hope that helps!

Yes- that helps! <relief>

-bw

Reaction score
Thanks

5. Restart

Hope that helps!

Yes it also worked for me. Thanks.

Reaction score
The "one easy step" presented by Juellez worked for me

5. Restart

Hope that helps!

I registered here just to say thanks for this set of steps. They worked perfectly. I had already spent hours doing all kinds of permissions work (god only knows how much damage I may have done) and this this solution resolved my problem in a matter of minutes and a few simple steps. Like the others, I had been dealing with the issue for months, and, yes, I migrated my old Mac profile to my new one, as well. Thank you!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.