How do I remove unnecessary files?

Reaction score
When ever I search through the Finder, I always have these type of files: XML with the little safari logos

Can I some how remove them, or not make it visible to me? I want my Macbook to be as clean and new presented as when I bought it. Meaning no unreadable files. I'm not a computer wizz, and I like my thing to be neatly presented.

I don't want any applicatinons that delete unused files (Xslimmer), just a simple way to not see them.

Thank you and I hope you can help me.

Here a screen shoot of what I'm talking about.

Screen shot 2009-12-30 at 3.45.09 PM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A general rule of thumb when it comes to computers, if you didn't create it or can't exactly say WHAT a file is, you shouldn't delete it.

The files in your screenshot, for example, are part of the Word installation and in specific the templates. If you delete these files, Word will continue to work, but you will no longer have access to templates. If you do suddenly require templates, restoring these files would most likely require a re-installation of Word.

If you want to keeps things clean and orderly, focus ONLY on your home directory which is where files/data you create goes. Keep that any way you like, but you should leave the system directories alone..

Regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And try not doing searches with only a single letter as that one. That's going to return so much stuff as to make the search useless.

OP
M
Reaction score
And try not doing searches with only a single letter as that one. That's going to return so much stuff as to make the search useless.

You have a very good point there, but I did that just to show how the search looked.

OP
M
Reaction score
A general rule of thumb when it comes to computers, if you didn't create it or can't exactly say WHAT a file is, you shouldn't delete it.

The files in your screenshot, for example, are part of the Word installation and in specific the templates. If you delete these files, Word will continue to work, but you will no longer have access to templates. If you do suddenly require templates, restoring these files would most likely require a re-installation of Word.

If you want to keeps things clean and orderly, focus ONLY on your home directory which is where files/data you create goes. Keep that any way you like, but you should leave the system directories alone..

Regards

Thank you very much, I never delete important files. It's just that they look so random.
Thank you for your suggestion by the way. Man never thought that nowdays people could be so helpful for FREE (charged at no cost).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just ship bobtomay and me a crate of beer!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just ship bobtomay and me a crate of beer!

Celebrating_Emoticon.gif

I'll drink to that!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bob should get a couple of crates for answering all of the questions about Macs and TVs. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So what is holding you back Sly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.