what determines the speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor 2.1ghz intel core 2 Duo
hi
When im on the internet and type in an address, what determines the speed in which the page will come up?
Sometimes i have to wait 10-20 secs other times its pretty quick

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I thought it v=comes down to who you are using for your connection and the amount of trffic at the particular time you are on line.

I know here in Aust Virgin has great rates and certain time of days the connection and speed is awesome but come to 530pm to 8 or 9ish when people are home and online the connection slows down considerably

Dont take my word for it though...
Someone will probably pop in with some geek tech solution or answer :)

Cheers
By the way i dont use virgin for this reason

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor 2.1ghz intel core 2 Duo
thanks t
so its more the surver than the computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea mate wouldnt worry bout your system atm.......

Just see how it goes over the next week r so nd note when your server is slow..'And i would back it as being around the same times that you get slow connection :)
Good luck with it mate

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are a variety of factors that come into play when it comes to determining how quickly a web page will display on your computer. You've got your own latencies (the delay between sending your request and receiving a response), but more importantly, you've got the latencies and speed on the server's side. If the server that hosts the website has slow hardware that can't keep up with all of the users trying to access the site, that will slow down how quickly you will be able to see it on your computer. Then you also have the server's internet connection to consider. Obviously, the faster it is, the faster you'll be able to view the site.

If a site is running slowly, it can be any one of, or a combination of, the factors involved in serving a website to your computer. It's nigh impossible to figure out exactly which one it is unless you have direct access to the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you can imagine your ISP server has so many available lines, say like 1,000 telephone lines as an example, and at 10am 600 clients are making calls on those lines, there is plenty of free lines and the speed is at the rate you are paying for.

Come 8pm two thousand clients are busy using the lines, you can imagine how stretched things are with all competing for a line to the net, so things just get slower and slower. It does happen with some cheap ISP who use very few lines, the whole lot comes tumbling down with stoppages and no connections at all.

Now this is for explanation purposes so please no one advise they are using wireless or LANs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.