Your world is so new to me !! introduction and a few questions

Reaction score
Hey all who read :D
I just ordered My new Mac , after a few years of thinking about it , I felt enought was enought , there is going to be quite a learning curve for me as I have always been a PC , now that I have come over to the white side , I need a bit of advise , My new Mac come with iLife which has iPhoto , is this a photo editting software ? I need something that easily reduces size and some cropping ect , nothing to fancy , I use paint shop pro now , but no where near its full potential . also Im thinking of loading windows on the drive as well ...does this really work ? I have a few programs that I would like to continue to use ,but not have to re-buy for Mac ....
As for introductions My Name is Rick im out in the Fraser Valley Of british Columbia Canada ,...I like long walks along the beach....OK just kiddin
Cheers and happy holidays
Rick

AKA Onslot Racing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Welcome! I got my Macbook today. I do not know much and cannot answer your questions but to say welcome, and that anyone who uses Windows voluntarily is a sucker! lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iPhoto can indeed do some basic photo editing. This might get you started. How to Use Apple iPhoto Software | eHow.com. That site also has several other iPhoto related articles there. In fact it will do some basic photo editing such as cropping and retouching. The eHow site has several other iPhoto articles and videos.

If that article doesn't answer your questions PM me and I will see if I can find additional sources. There is also Amazon.com: iPhoto '09: The Missing Manual (9780596801441): David Pogue, J D Biersdorfer, Pogue David, Biersdorfer Jude: Books which I haven't tried but it has been well reviewed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello and welcome. As stated above I can't say enough about the missing manual series I bought them for both the Mac and iPhone when I switched. Between those and this forum you'll be fine.

Clay

Reaction score
iPhoto can do basic editing but I HIGHLY recommend Picasa (from Google)

I used it on my PCs and when I got my Mac, I had to get that too. Its free and its great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Oh and welcome..

For Windows, you might be able to find mac alternatives, there are also a lot of programs that enable you to load windows on your mac.. I use parallels (which IMHO was pretty bad until they more recently released Parallels desktop 5.0). Parallels isn't free but there are a few free ones and altho it isn't free I believe codeweavers has thiers that you don't have to load windows on but allows you to use some windows software and games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Depending on which PC programs you want to use, there may well be free or cheap mac alternatives. The one that comes to mind first is NeoOffice -- a great free replacement for Word. Before you go the PC on your mac route, check into other software that is made for a mac. Versiontraker is a good website to look at, as is MacUpdate. Lots of freeware/shareware there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Rick, You might look at Preview,already om your Mac for re-sizing.But as previously suggested, Picassa is very good . Good Luck with your Mac. Van

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.