3G to 3GS upgrade worth £180?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
My 18 month iPhone contract with o2 has ended again. Last time, I upgraded from the first gen iPhone to the 3G. I was planning on doing the same sort of thing this time but then I saw the price. It's not that I don't have the cash, but it's just that I don't really think it's worth it at all. A faster processor would be nice but I've never really known if the difference is noticeable? I'm thinking I should just wait a few months for a new iPhone to be released with hopefully a much better camera with flash and louder speakers which would make it THE perfect phone. Even if the new iPhone doesn't have that, what is new to it will probably be a great improvement and make it worthwhile me paying a couple of hundred pounds for the upgrade.

Your thoughts please? :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
On the one hand, I would see the upgrade as worth the £180 per se. To put it in another way - I got my first iPhone (3GS) this Christmas, and I would surely not downgrade to 3G even if somebody paid me £180 for doing so.

But considering the likelihood that an even better iPhone might be released in the summer of 2010, you might want to wait until then.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
On the one hand, I would see the upgrade as worth the £180 per se. To put it in another way - I got my first iPhone (3GS) this Christmas, and I would surely not downgrade to 3G even if somebody paid me £180 for doing so.

But considering the likelihood that an even better iPhone might be released in the summer of 2010, you might want to wait until then.

If the 3GS is your first iPhone, then why are you so certain about not downgrading to the 3G? It really must be quite something if £180 wouldn't change your mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm in a similar position where I can upgrade to the 3GS for $200. Now, I can see the tangible benefits of doing so: noticeably faster when using the device, the new 3G chip seems to hold a better connection and is faster than the one in the iPhone 3G, and of course, there are the compass and video camera.

However, with the fourth generation only months away and the increased competition from Android phones, coupled with the fact that Apple will be selling of the fourth gen device since almost all of its 3G users will be due for an upgrade, I'm betting that the next iPhone will be a worthy upgrade and one that should definitely be worth waiting for. On the off chance that Apple completely misses the mark and the next iPhone falls flat in comparison to the Android offerings on the market, you can bet that I shall be switching to the superior device. Either way, I will be skipping the 3GS and I think you should too. It just doesn't make sense to upgrade from a 3G at this point, especially since the 3G is still a very capable phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the 3GS is your first iPhone, then why are you so certain about not downgrading to the 3G? It really must be quite something if £180 wouldn't change your mind.

I have tried the 3G too, which is the reason why the 3GS is my first iPhone. The previous models were IMO not worth the money.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I have tried the 3G too, which is the reason why the 3GS is my first iPhone. The previous models were IMO not worth the money.

What you are saying just doesn't make sense. Or at least you haven't explained yourself enough to make any sense. They are pretty much the same phones, the difference is 1 megapixel, a compass and a slightly faster processor. Other than that, they are the same phones. To say that one of them is worth the money and the other isn't (when they are this similar) just doesn't add up. Please do explain to me why you think this, it might help me to make a decision here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you are saying just doesn't make sense. Or at least you haven't explained yourself enough to make any sense. They are pretty much the same phones, the difference is 1 megapixel, a compass and a slightly faster processor. Other than that, they are the same phones. To say that one of them is worth the money and the other isn't (when they are this similar) just doesn't add up. Please do explain to me why you think this, it might help me to make a decision here.

Better display (easier on the eyes).
Far better photos.
Video-recording.
Better battery capacity (remember it's non-user-replaceable).
Significant improvement of speed.

I presume you have also taken a look at this clip, but I'll paste a link to it anyway:
YouTube - iPhone 3GS vs. iPhone 3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have to choose between a 3G and a 3GS, then the choice is obvious. However, if you're already a 3G user, then the upgrade to the 3GS is a harder choice, especially given the fact that the fourth generation iPhone is right around the corner.

torbjoern, you have a biased opinion since the 3GS was your first iPhone, you didn't use the 3G for any significant length of time to form an objective opinion. You're simply touting the differences between the two devices as being of greater significance than they really are because you don't realize that the 3G is still a very capable phone. Is the 3GS a better phone? No doubt. Is it worth the upgrade price? You may say absolutely, but objectively speaking, the answer is debatable. I say no, and based on how the OP is thinking, I'm guessing he is leaning toward no as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I would have to agree with Kash on this one; I too am at the end of my contract (with O2) and was debating whether to go with a shiny new 3GS or hold out until a younger, better model comes out in 2010.

Luckily for me my girlfriend recently upgraded from her Blackberry to a 3GS on Orange which allowed me to do some real world testing myself, and apart from the obvious differences in speed and the nice additions such as video recording and the compass, its just not worth the jump from a 3G.

So I will be waiting eagerly for a new iPhone to come out, hopefully Apple won't take too long as I would really like a new gadget :)

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Thanks for your replies, I have read them all and agree with Kash and MrChris. I respect your opinion torbjoern but unfortunately I just don't share it. It would make sense to hold on a bit longer for an even newer version that will hopefully have some more worthwhile features. If I upgraded to a 3GS now, I would have maybe around 15 months left of the contract when the new iPhone comes out, so I would then be stuck with the 3GS for all that time knowing that there is a newer version out (as I don't think paying my way out of it would be an option).

So thanks guys, my decision is to wait for the new iPhone to come out. I also like the idea of having all the 3GS features + the newer iPhones features to look forwards too. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have to choose between a 3G and a 3GS, then the choice is obvious. However, if you're already a 3G user, then the upgrade to the 3GS is a harder choice, especially given the fact that the fourth generation iPhone is right around the corner.

I know it's a harder choice. That's precisely the reason why I wrote as follows in my first reply to OP:
torbjoern said:
Now, the rest is a bit harder for me to swallow:
torbjoern, you have a biased opinion since the 3GS was your first iPhone, you didn't use the 3G for any significant length of time to form an objective opinion. You're simply touting the differences between the two devices as being of greater significance than they really are because you don't realize that the 3G is still a very capable phone. Is the 3GS a better phone? No doubt. Is it worth the upgrade price? You may say absolutely, but objectively speaking, the answer is debatable. I say no, and based on how the OP is thinking, I'm guessing he is leaning toward no as well.
I never got the chance to use the 3G for a significant length of time. But the same applies to the 3GS prior to my decision of purchasing it. So within the respective time frames of testing, I figured out that 3GS was worth the price and that the 3G wasn't. That' s the reason why I stated that the upgrade to 3GS per se would be worth the £ 180 IMHO. When this leads you to accuse me of touting, it makes me believe that you bought the 3G right before the 3GS release and still suffer from buyer's remorse.

I can not see that I have written "absolutely" here at all, as the answer to "Is it worth the upgrade price?" of course is debatable and only OP knows the true answer for him-/herself. Capisce?

Reaction score
To me it is worth the price. I paid $400 to have an early upgrade in November and haven't second guessed the decision since. I then sold my 3G on Ebay a week ago for almost $400, so that only made things better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's a harder choice. That's precisely the reason why I wrote as follows in my first reply to OP:

Now, the rest is a bit harder for me to swallow:

I never got the chance to use the 3G for a significant length of time. But the same applies to the 3GS prior to my decision of purchasing it. So within the respective time frames of testing, I figured out that 3GS was worth the price and that the 3G wasn't. That' s the reason why I stated that the upgrade to 3GS per se would be worth the £ 180 IMHO. When this leads you to accuse me of touting, it makes me believe that you bought the 3G right before the 3GS release and still suffer from buyer's remorse.

I can not see that I have written "absolutely" here at all, as the answer to "Is it worth the upgrade price?" of course is debatable and only OP knows the true answer for him-/herself. Capisce?

You failed to read my post. If you don't have an iPhone and you're looking at whether to purchase a 3G or a 3GS, then the choice is abundantly clear. This is exactly the position you were in and you went with the obvious choice. The OP is distinctly in a different position.

I bought the first gen iPhone a week after it came out and the 3G the week it came out. Care to make any more assumptions? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
3G and 3G are the same phones. i have the 3G i will not be doing the upgrade to the 3Gs because while i get the new iPhone that comes out in the summer, all you people wit the 3G are stuck with it unless you want to pay full price for an upgrade. if you have the 3G keep it for a few more months. you need to spend $200 for a compass and video camera? just download an app to do those things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
3G and 3G are the same phones.

Sort of, but not really. The 3GS has native video editing features, upgraded processor/RAM, voice control, upgraded camera. . .

Some helpful features, a bit beefier. Although, I would wait for the new iPhone.

Reaction score
Honestly there is a rather large difference between the two phones. The 3GS has more features, and a ton more speed. I agree with cuhnool, I would wait for the next one, which is probable to come out in june or july especially with the high probability of a CDMA version coming out (and going to other carriers, such as verizon)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Honestly there is a rather large difference between the two phones. The 3GS has more features, and a ton more speed. I agree with cuhnool, I would wait for the next one, which is probable to come out in june or july especially with the high probability of a CDMA version coming out (and going to other carriers, such as verizon)

Where do you get your info ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I see nothing in that article that I would consider anything but rumors and would not use it to decide to upgrade or not.

Just my opinion
Clay

Reaction score
Totally agree Clay, they are just rumors, but I thought it would add to the argument of waiting until june/ july when the next model will probably come out. This is assuming Apple continues to come out with a new iPhone model every summer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.