• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning first dvd...error message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I made a movie in iMovie and then under Share published under Media browser. Using iDVD I then tried to burn the movie onto a DVD but got an error message. It said that there were errors in the validation that needed to be fixed, but listed no errors. What did I not do or do wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Open iDVD and click at the bottom to bring up the map of the video. The places with errors will have X or ! telltales on the place of errors. Hover over the telltale and it will tell you the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, welcome to the forum. You'll find you get better, faster answers if you let the forum know what equip/apps you have. Look to the left to find out my hardware and major apps.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
My Mac was bought in Dec 09 and the program is iMovie 09. I did what you suggested but I was unable to bring up a map of the project. Where on the bottom do I click?

The first screen which comes up in iDVD has a choice to make (1 of 4) and I chose "Open an Existing Project". That in turn brings up a list of documents, one of which is my project (still entitled "My First Project"). That in turn bring up a window which lists my computer's items on the left, projects in the middle and a black square on the right with various info about the project listed below, e.g. "Kind iDVD Project, size 2.76 GB on disk".

However I do not see a map.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Final Cut but assume iMovie is not overly different for this task. Complete your editing. When you are finished, click Export or Share or whatever to get to Quick Time Movie. You need to export into QT or iDVD won't like you. Put the new QT movie somewhere you will know were it is (desktop?). Exit iMovie. Open iDVD. Click New Project and give it a name. Save the project somewhere you can find it. Drag the icon of the QT you just generated into the big window of iDVD. Now iDVD has something to work with. If you put chapters in your iMovie, they should be available to iDVD. At the bottom of the iDVD should be three icons. The center is to loop what is in the big window. The left is the map. click the map.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.