Resetting router problem

Reaction score
I've been trying to set up a sitecom wireless extender for my mac mini to get the internet working on it. Instead I have failed and when resetting the router now 2 other laptops can't access the internet.

What am I doing wrong?:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
To even begin to guess what you're doing wrong, we'd have to know what it is you're doing.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've reset the router and now the network settings in system preferences have disappeared.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You reset the main router? Do remember, if you reset everything goes back to factory settings including WiFi. Your Encryption and key will be reset also.

Reaction score
yes the main router

If you reset the router to it's factory defaults, you have a warm brick sitting on your desk.

Get out the manual and try to remember the settings you had before; otherwise, you start from scratch on the wireless setup and have the three systems join the "new" wireless network you had to create.

Not to be mean, but... Why in the world would you "reset" the router because your Mac Mini couldn't connect? There are two other machines perfectly happy, so it should be clear the problem was in the Mini, not the router.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have a screenshot of the old IP settings. I take it I put these details into Network in System Preferences? The problem is when I go to this a message pops up saying "your network settings have been changed by another application". When I ok this this message pops up straight away again so can't do anything on this screen. So I don't know how to get to them.

I reset the router because I thought it was just a simple reset. I didn't realise it would wipe al the settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You do know about accessing your router with your browser by putting the router's address in the browser address line, right? Then your router firmware will show up in your browser, and you enter your setting there. You need to read and follow the instructions for your router's initial set up just like when it was brand new.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that, so thank you.

problem now though, i can't get access with username and password

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that, so thank you.

problem now though, i can't get access with username and password

Hi there,

Because you've reset your router, it's highly likely that you have also reset its login details to defaults, too.

What brand/model of router do you have?

Also you could try the following:
If you have a Netgear router, the default address would usually be http://192.168.0.1 with username:admin username:password (or for older devices, try 1234)

If the above doesn't work, then you could try reading this list, which is pretty comprehensive.

Hope this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok after a call to BT the wireless is working again. The problem now though is that because my mac mini doesn't pick up the signal I need to use a Sitecom Wireless Extender. This was working in the previous house but since moving I can't get it to work. What to do now?
Many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.