Macbook sound input output through speakers

Reaction score
So i have my xbox setup on a monitor and i have an adapter from the left and right (white and red) rca audio to a male 3.5mm jack. I want to plug this into my macbook's mic/input port and have the sound output through the speakers. I can see the volume on the gauge in sound settings but i dont know how to get it to output through the macbook pro's speaker.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Use the MBP headphone output. If you have the little speaker icon in your menu bar, Option click it and make sure the Headphones is selected for Output.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you need to what's called soft playthru for this to work. That should allow the sound picked up through the mic to be played through the speakers. Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder enables this feature at both the hardware and software levels. Check the audio i/o preference settings. The sumplest solution is probably Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free Software for Mac OS X. Download the program called LineIn.

For both choices start with the mic and sound levels low. Playthru can produce quite a bit of feedback because the speakers are in close proximity to the audio in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.