Newbie question - Finder files/folders don't appear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro, a bit silvery, screen, a bunch of keys, mousepad without buttons.
Hi All:

I recently was given a new macbook pro as my office computer and have been slowly chipping away at the learning curve that one would naturally expect with switching to a mac.

With a bit of research, I've solved nearly every quirk that I've encountered, but there is one that I cannot overcome.

Does anybody know how to make files and folders on a windows based (e.g. SMB based) show up on the mac? I can literally click on a folder in Finder and it will say "0 items" down at the bottom, then switch over to Fusion, open the same folder, and see all of the files and subj-folders in all their glory.

Consequently, I have to open fusion, browse to the folder I want, copy the folder to a shared/synced location, switch back to the mac side, browse to the shared/synced location, and then open the file or folder that I require.

Surely there is an easy way to fix this, but what that is, I do not know.

Any assistance would be most appreciated! I realize that I'm new to this forum, but I appreciate your assistance nevertheless.

Geek_Law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps you should try connecting with the Go > Connect to Server… menu option in Finder. Here are some instructions on Apple's Web site that should help you out.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. I tried the instructions. Depressingly, following them appears to have broken my links and now I cannot even connect to the network drives, much less view them.

Despair :[

EDIT: After force quitting finder, then hitting "Restart ..." and waiting for 5x minutes, then doing a dirty reboot by holding down the power button and restarting, I can get to the network files again. That's good. Unfortunately, I still cannot see many of the files or subfolders on the windows SMB network drive from finder.

Ugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I'm not totally sure if this will help Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes (reindexing finder). I did this last night and just the volume on it.. this was for mac files tho. But I think you should be able to see files on your pc side (but I'm using parallels) by also enabling share. The other option that you can try is downloading a free prog called EasyFind. I found that it tends to find files that finder didn't or won't and gives a heck of alot of info (ie location etc) and is a little closer to if you are used to search in PC

Hope that helps.. ;)

PS also make sure that your finder options are correct for what you want to do.. there are option that you can select... New to mac? go thru system prefs and this will also help you to familiarize yourself with your mac..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just as a check when I see SMB share problems there are two things that I always check:
1. Is file sharing active on the PC side (probably is or you probably wouldn't see them in Fusion).
2. In the File Sharing preference pane make sure file sharing is checked. Then click options and make sure SMB is checked as one of the protocols.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not totally sure if this will help Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes (reindexing finder). I did this last night and just the volume on it.. this was for mac files tho. But I think you should be able to see files on your pc side (but I'm using parallels) by also enabling share. The other option that you can try is downloading a free prog called EasyFind. I found that it tends to find files that finder didn't or won't and gives a heck of alot of info (ie location etc) and is a little closer to if you are used to search in PC

Hope that helps.. ;)

PS also make sure that your finder options are correct for what you want to do.. there are option that you can select... New to mac? go thru system prefs and this will also help you to familiarize yourself with your mac..

Thanks again for the tips guys. I'll try the above recommendations and see if it solves my issues. It's likely just a simple setting, but it seems odd that the mac side would report that there are no files there, rather than saying something like, "cannot read directory" or something more informative.

Anyway, the indexing sounds promising. I'll report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.