Home Network on Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Install an iMac, Mac Pro Laptop, Vista Desktop and Vista Laptop on my Airport basestation. I can see everything from the Vista PCs but can't see the PCs from either iMac or Mac Pro. Did I miss a setting? Any help would be appreciated. Tks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You could get this - it may help.

Reaction score
I assume each of the OS-X PCs can "see" each other?

Open a terminal window on the Mac, and try to ping around the network.

Mixing Apple PCs & MS PCs has been a pain forever.

OS-X uses Bonjour for name discovery while Windows uses NetBIOS / NetBUI. You may have to tweak some of the Network settings in the OS-X PCs to get them to look for NetBIOS systems.

Your Airport Extreme is your DHCP server, so it is handing out IP addresses to all of the systems. You may find the IP addresses on the systems never change - even after reboots. If so, you can edit the Mac's /etc/hosts file and make name / IP address entries for all of your systems.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK I finally got the PC shared folders on the iMac and now found another problem. When I try to access a folder on the iMac from my Vista PC, I get an access denied message. I have checked all of the settings, User Accounts, etc. on the iMac and don't see anything. I don't get prompted on my PC for any password? Anyone have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try clicking folder on iMac to select it and from File Menu - Get Info - and change the permissions to Anyone Read/Write

OP
R
Reaction score
Finally found the missing link by accident, it was under Sharing. If you right click on the folder you get a popup window where you can 'apply permissions to enclosed items'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.