AirPort Extreme keeps dropping signal

Reaction score
I purchased an AE with dual-band wireless 802.11n networking in late November. I have a small home. When I am downstairs, the signal for my MacBook Pro and my iPod Touch G3 are both excellent. However, when I move upstairs, the signal goes from full strength to dropping, without warning. Sometimes I can reconnect easily by going to the 'join network' option; other times I have to restart and hope.

I have an older 2.4Gz phone, which I disconnected. I also have a satellite dish, but the AE is not near the wires/cables for it. I've consulted the user guide that came with the AE, but it's not much help. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
WiFi signals seem to act funny. It's hard to predict what will interfere with them. Try moving the location of your router, even a few feet one way or another might help. I don't think your problem indicates that anythings wrong with the router. You're just experiencing typical WiFi frustrations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going into Airport Utility and setting the AE to operate on another channel and retest. Use WifiTrak on the Touch to see if there are other WiFi signals that could be conflicting while upstairs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I moved the AE router to the top of a desk, as far away from the other electronics (Wii system, satellite base, etc.) as possible. The signal on my MacBook Pro seems to be holding steady, but I still have a weird signal result for my iPod Touch. The signal is strong in an adjoining room, but as soon as I start up the stairs, the signal fades to one level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.