Horizontal lines on iMac G5

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the attached problem of horizontal lines on a G5 iMac, if so do you know how to resolve the problem.
Cheers
Charlie

photo.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Charlie
I have been having the same problem. If I go to the System preference and monitor and than change the resolution and change it back it eliminates the lines for a while. Also if I do not use mail at the same time as safari it is OK. If I change users it will break up and have the pattern same as your screen capture. I have tried using the mac repair and it says all is well. This does not help you but misery enjoys company.
I look forward to hear if any one has an answer.
Cheers
Bruce

OP
C
Reaction score
Cheers Bruce,
I am going to go into the Apple Store Liverpool today and see if they have any ideas. I know people are having problems with very fine vertical lines but nothing like this. I think it might be the logic board and by all accounts this is quite expensive as it is all in one on the iMac.
I will keep you posted.
Charlie

Reaction score
Hi Charlie
I was thinking similarly that it is a major problem with the graphics board which is not good. I will be interested to hear how you do. I would have thought that Techtool Pro or Disk Utility would have picked that up but it keeps saying everything is fine. I will check next week here to find out what they say at the apple repair store, that's in Vancouver, Canada.
Thanks
Bruce

Reaction score
Hi Charles
I vacuumed out the vents on my mac yesterday and I have not had the problem at all today. It may be just a fluke or it may be something else but it is working fine today. I will let you know if it starts acting up again.
Cheers
Bruce

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,
Just back from the Apple store Liverpool, they diagnosed graphics card problem. As the card is soldered to the motherboard you need to replace the whole unit which would have been £350, so not worth repairing.
Jumped in and bought a new iMac as I needed one asap.
So i'll probably look on ebay for one with a damaged monitor and buy that to repair and sell this one
Charlie

Reaction score
Hi Charlie
My computer has started to give me problems again. I was afraid it might be the graphics board. I think I am in the same position, it would not be worth repairing it and I am also at the stage of needing an upgrade. Thanks for your help
Good luck shopping
Bruce

Reaction score
Imac G5 horizontal lines screen problem

Hi!
Bruce and charlie!!!

I;m experience the same problem with my imac. I have bought it on january 2006. It has 4 years. on december 09 a line vertical apeared along the screen and the horizontal lines in the background. i have taken the computer to the apple service in Argentina and they replace the screen display. This was made free of charge because APPLE recognize this problem. But the horizontal lines are still there.... They said me that this is a fail from the video card and I must replace the entire motherbord to solve it.

The only cange I have now,is buy a new computer, but i have seen that you get the same problem....Perhaps,we could join us and asked to the oficial service in USA ...

What do you think? Do you have taken a picture of the problem? I have pictures and could sent to you....

Keep in touch

Nerina

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.