Macbook + 4GB Problems

Reaction score
Hi there,

I upgraded my Macbook to 4GB a while ago and I seem to have problems with it when all 4GB is installed.

Everything I download from the internet gets corrupted (or when I try to extract large files they get corrupted - could be either one or both). We are talking maybe 500MB+ files from split archives. This only started happening after about a week.

When I tried to upgrade to Snow Leopard it always failed with 4GB in but when I removed 2GB and left one stick in there it installed fine.

This is the RAM I upgraded to: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 200-Pin SODIMM Dual Channel (VS4GSDSKIT667D2).

Is this a known problem or just an issue with my Macbook?

My Macbook was purchased in April 2009 and has this model number: MB881B/A

Thanks.

dsi

Reaction score
i thought Mac uses DDR3 in newer models... isn't it?
My MBP uses 2x DDR3 2Gb... a total of 4Gb, and have no problem with it.
Or is it because yr's a MB and mine is a MBP? does this make any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook aluminum late 2008,2.0 processor,160GB hard drive,4GB ram,snow leopard 10.6.2
yeah thats right , you should check first in the system profiler about your DDR , is it DDR3 ? or DDR2 ? , i upgrade my macbook from 2GB to 4GB , i buy it from crucial.com , the amazing thing in that website is the adviser :) a small program you install it then he will check your system and give you the advice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
A search by model # shows yes it is a DDR 2 machine. If it were me I would do a little trouble shooting to find out if you have a bad stick of ram/ a bad ram socket / logic board trouble.

Does it matter which 2 gig stick you leave in ? Does it matter which socket that stick is in ? You can see where I am going with this. Check this out and report back.

Hope this helps
clay

OP
C
Reaction score
Have already spent a whole day doing all that.

Ran the apple test with both sticks in, and each stick in either socket, no errors returned.

Could install snow leopard with either stick installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
dude i have the MacBook unibody new white one, and before that i had the MacBook unibody Aluminum and i know both of them took DDR3 so if you put DDR2 in that is most likely your problem.
hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
dude i have the MacBook unibody new white one, and before that i had the MacBook unibody Aluminum and i know both of them took DDR3 so if you put DDR2 in that is most likely your problem.
hope this helps

Dude the model MB881B/A ( which the op stated ) shipped with and uses ddr2 667 MHz ram

clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.