• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

JVC Everio GZ-HD10

Reaction score
I have bought this jvc camcorder and it states compatable with mac osx BUT I cannot read any of the files....:(

The files are unexecutable, unreadable, format not recognised and so on and no default application to open the files....:(

Files are in... .MTS .CPl .BDM .MPL

I've googled for ages and feeling a bit of despair...

Can anyone tell me what I can do? I feel really stupid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it too late to return the camera to the retailer you bought it from? JVC cameras are absolutely infamous for using proprietary formats that only work with their own software.

Otherwise, make sure you've got all the latest codecs installed. Download and install Perian and VLC Media Player.

If having those codecs installed doesn't do the trick, you're probably going to have to go back to JVC and call them on the stated "Mac compatibility" and see what they have to say. I can tell you this isn't the first time I've seen this complaint - and it's not limited to the Mac either. I had someone record a training session at work and provided me with the files to burn to a DVD. As I recall, there was no easy way to do that without going through a transcoding process.

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
None of that worked mate:|

I found a program called iverio that can read the files but it's only a demo version and won't let me watch more than 10 seconds and won't convert the file...

I'm gonna keep googling...

Any ideas??

I could do with a free .MTS/AVCHD video converter for mac osx...

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
I've just managed to get the vlc player to play the files...by enabling all applications in the open with menu...

Now to convert them for youtube

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try to contact JVC's tech support?

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
No, I'm going to do that now...

I'm sure I'll be waiting a while for help there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Ok - as a note - saying the camera is compatible with Mac, by most of these companies it seems, is meaning it's compatible with iMovie.

You can open iMovie, connect the camera, have iMovie import the footage and then use it to convert it to another format (you can drag the imported movie into the edit area and then share the movie) - DO NOT attempt to import the individual .mts files into iMovie, THEY WILL NOT WORK, you need to use iMovies functionality to allow it to convert the AVCHD footage of the camera into something more Mac friendly.

Other options that may work for transcoding include:

MPEGStreamClip can convert some .ts and .mts files into something playable on a Mac (free)
VoltaicHD can convert .ts, .mts and .m2ts files pretty well, but IS REALLY REALLY REALLY slow, and costs money
Handbrake - works with some .ts and .mts files, they are improving their HD footage support (as well as the associated stream containers, this has been what I've been using lately to downconvert some 1080p footage to 720p that was in either a .ts or .m2ts container), free
I've heard you can convert some .ts and .mts files with Roxio Toast as long as you have the HD plugin, but you're talking ~$100 for Toast and the plugin

Players:
Mac doesn't really have any nice AVCHD players that will play by just pointing the player to the AVCHD folder, you will need to navigate to the specific .ts, .mts or .m2ts files and play. Players that tend to work ok with those file containers:
vlc (which you already have)
mplayer for mac
Plexapp

In reality, there just isn't really good AVCHD support in the Mac world - there are many more apps PC side to deal with AVCHD although I expect this will change. Your probably easiest options are to:

Try handbrake - it works really well, I use it quite often and have started using it with some HD footage. Hasn't worked with all, but it has worked with enough that I use it often.
Use the iMovie trick of ingesting the video into iMovie then export it using the share function into a file format that is Mac friendly.

From my AVCHD camcorder, if I'm not editing, then I ingest the footage and then export it to what I want (I use Final Cut, but you can do it with iMovie as well). Either that or I convert it using handbrake into something more Mac friendly (like an mp4 or mkv container H.264 video).

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
Nethfel, just seen your reply there, thanks for the info on that gonna try that now cheers!! Sounds about right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. iSkysoft looks like it's a fairly easy program to use and provides a lot of output formats other then just for iPod or Quicktime, I've never used it before so I can't comment on it.

Well, whether you use Handbrake or iSkysoft - as long as you get the end result you are looking for, that's all that matters :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iSkySoft is a scam. It's advertised via spam and is distributed by seedy Chinese organizations that use the same program to underpin a number of other products advertised by spam all over forums to build their Google page rank.

This is a very unscrupulous company, I would be very careful about giving them your credit card information and I would also monitor any traffic the program attempts to send back over the Internet if you choose to use their product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know cwa, I had never really heard of the program before, so I didn't want to say anything either way - rather depressing when people try to scam others.

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
To remove the program iskysoft , do I drag the icon or application to the recycle bin?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.