Mac book pro gets hot!

Reaction score
I have the new macbookpro 17 in. It gets extremly hot while watching movies and live web streams. Is this normal or something I need to be concerned about ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Normal

It's going to heat up any time you ramp up the CPU or video card.

Make sure you're not blocking the air vents along the hinge area.

If you're going to use it on your lap, investing in a lap stand would be a good move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
like the poster above mentioned, yeah this is normal, however when you stop watching movies then the heat level should go back to normal, if not then perhaps it's time to see if the fans are working normally.

But for now yeah that is perfectly normal, wait until you try to play a hardcore game on there, then wait and see how hot it will get! :D

Reaction score
Get the app smcFanControl.
Run it, and check that both fans are running. Don't adjust anything, just look at the fan RPM. 0-RPM = dead fan.
There are 2 fans in these systems - one will die and you don't know it until the 2nd dies. Then the system starts shutting down due to over-temp.
If both fans are running, then this may be "normal".
It sounds like A) You haven't had this system very long (so you don't know what "normal" is) or B) This high temp is something new. Either way, smcFanControl is a good place to start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.