• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IKEA Desks?

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm getting my new 27" iMac next month or so and I've been debating which desk/workstation to get for absolutely ages now and decided I need a bit of help. Basically I like the look of the black/brown/white MIKAEL desk sold by IKEA:
IKEA | Computer solutions | Desktop solutions | MIKAEL | Computer table with castors

But anyway, I'm wondering if desk is able to hold the 27" iMac? Whilst i can see that it says the desk holds up to a 17" monitor, it also says that it can hold up to a max load of 25Kg - and seeing as the iMac weighs around the 13.8Kg mark I'd be safe with that. In addition to this, the desk is 77cm wide, and the iMac itself is 65cm. So i guess my question is, is it a good idea to buy this desk? If not why? And if it is fine to buy this desk for my iMac 'to be' then why would IKEA say it can only take a monitor up to 17"? I've been baffled by this for quite a while now so any help would be great. Thanks a lot!:Smirk:

Edit: hope I've put this in the right forum!

Reaction score
You won't have any room for anything else, but it should work if that is all you are going to do on it. IKEA has a good return policy so the worst thing you could do is try it and see if it will work for you. If not, return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
A tight squeeze for sure. Remember you need room to move your mouse on the left or right, depending on your handedness (is that a word?)
I would feel really hemmed in with a screen that size on a desk that is barely big enough.
Nice and cheap though it is, I would be looking for something a little wider.

Also, shopping in Ikea is a nightmare!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
If you want something that is a lot more sturdier for a little bit more money, go with the IKEA | Computer solutions | Desktop solutions | FREDRIK | Workstation.
The Fredrick used to be called the "Jerker" and you used to able to buy various attachments for it. The jerker was great for musicians since you add shelves for speakers and other audio hardware.

Which IKEA are you going to get it from? Lakeside's IKEA is a nightmare! We had to drive out to Milton Keynes just to shop comfortably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Also, shopping in Ikea is a nightmare!

That it is, but at least all packages comes with GREAT instructions to build it haha

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies :D

I that realise that i won't have room for anything else on the desk but the iMac would literally be all that's on it, appart from the mouse and keyboard on the little 'slidey table thingy' i'll just have to see how well it works out as you say.

As for a bigger desk, i wish i could go for a bigger one but my room limits me. Unless i get rid of my bed and sleep in my executive office chair that i bought especially for my iMac haha:Smirk:

Funny you should ask that actually, I'm going to Lakeside to get it. Why'd you ask?

Again, Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
IMO... Lakeside is just a madhouse when it comes to parking and picking up your purchase.

OP
C
Reaction score
Greattt...Should be a day out in itself then eh? ahah - In which case I hope I don't have to return it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Greattt...Should be a day out in itself then eh? ahah - In which case I hope I don't have to return it :p

Make sure you allow a day too......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.