Displaying accents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.2 -- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi all,

This is my first post so kick my butt if I do something wrong!

I'm having some issues in displaying accents, in some cases... I have no problem seeing accents in Mail or in web pages, or even wherever I can produce then (textedit for instance), but some softwares don't seem to like it.
I realised this while trying to use French subtitles in VLC, where é appeared as a ?. Looking at the same file with emacs, the é appear as \351, becomes <E9> when using less (and, in this case, was actually È in textedit, even though if I write the é myself in it, it is properly displayed). (I realise while writing this that I had once a problem with accents when transferring .tex files from Linux to mac...)

I guess this has to do with some encoding issues, but I wouldn't know what exactly... How could I fix this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Perhaps the applications are to localized for French?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps the applications are to localized for French?

The thing is that I didn't have this issue with my previous mac using the same softwares...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, it's not the same software as your previous Mac. You have upgraded your operating system. The problem is probably caused by the developers of the other software not catching up to OS10.6.2 or the fact that you have not upgraded their software yet. Check with each one to see if they have updates intended to be compatible with Snow Leopard.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's not the same software as your previous Mac. You have upgraded your operating system. The problem is probably caused by the developers of the other software not catching up to OS10.6.2 or the fact that you have not upgraded their software yet. Check with each one to see if they have updates intended to be compatible with Snow Leopard.

Ah OK. Sounds reasonable.
But I'm not sure I get why it wouldn't work when doing less in a terminal though...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Máybe Option+e+a will displáy your required áccent?

Now go through the rest of the keyboard find the others? å ß ∂ ƒ © ˙ ∆ ˚ ¬ Ω ≈ ç √ ∫ ˜µ ≤ ≥ ÷ etc?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Máybe Option+e+a will displáy your required áccent?

Now go through the rest of the keyboard find the others? å ß ∂ ƒ ©*˙ ∆ ˚ ¬ Ω ≈ ç √ ∫ ˜µ ≤*≥ ÷ etc?

Yes, this works fine. The problem is just that, in some cases, accents already contained in files are not displayed. But the accents are there and appear well if I open those files with a software that likes them...

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try using a French keyboard may be the go. Purchased a used 1400 laptop years ago from the French Embassy in Peking ( as it then was) with all accents etc included on the keyboard. Also French Office etc may do the trick?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.