iPhone 3Gs edge ? 3G ?

Reaction score
Okay so I really want to get and iPhone 3Gs but before I do , I have some questions that I want to ask .

Firstly .. what is Edge and 3G ? Are they some sort of thing so you can connect to the internet ? Like wi-fi ? And whats the difference between them ?

If I get my iPhone with Three that comes with a plan allowing you to have like 100mb of data to browse the net, would it still work if you go on a holiday and go overseas ? Like say , you're at some place and you take pictures , can u upload them on Facebook at that moment when there's no wi-fi ?

What about if you get your iPhone somewhere else in Australia but not from Three and just use your old Three sim card from your last phone , would you still be able to go on the internet ?

Thanks so much !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
Speed is the main difference, 3G is 14.0 Mbit/s and Edge is 1 Mbit/s but 3g uses a little more battery than Edge.

Reaction score
I had the original iPhone (Edge) and on release day bought the 3GS and there is a HUGE difference in speed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Is edge and 3G something you use so you can go on the Internet ? Like wifi

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Edge, 3G and 4G are the cellular technologies used to connect your phone to the providers network and through them the Internet. WiFi is another way of getting onto the Internet.

Whenever possible and if available, you should try to use the WiFi connection to save on data prices..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
But I'm in Australia and the charges are different to U.S :/

So you can use Edge or 3G to browse the internet whenever and wherever you are if you're with a plan that includes internet data ? What about if you travel overseas ? Do you still get to use it in another country for free ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Edge network is available virtually everywhere and most carriers have deployed 3G in just as many places, but there are holes. Either way, you can use whatever is available to browse the Internet if you don't have WiFi access. If you are overseas, they will also have Edge and 3G services..but you are no longer in your carrier's network, but are roaming on someone elses..

Depending on your plan, you could be covered for this or pay a VERY hefty price for using the other carrier's network..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
The Edge network is available virtually everywhere and most carriers have deployed 3G in just as many places, but there are holes. Either way, you can use whatever is available to browse the Internet if you don't have WiFi access. If you are overseas, they will also have Edge and 3G services..but you are no longer in your carrier's network, but are roaming on someone elses..

Depending on your plan, you could be covered for this or pay a VERY hefty price for using the other carrier's network..

Regards

OHHHH now i get it ! kinda .. so if you're overseas and use the internet, you'd have to pay instead of using th included data in ur plan cause your not using your carrier's network .

But you could still use wifi for free right ? overseas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
i was just overseas with my iphone...the best thing you could possibly do is not use the internet over seas unless u get sum kind of package for roaming use. It coast a lot of money to use the phone overseas but let me tell you the iphone is great it worked in Switzerland and instead of AT&T it said like Orange something and then i went to Lebanon and it connect right to their phone services there like TDB LEBANON or sum thing like that. but i never used the internet there unless i was hooked up to Wi-Fi because the cost was soo much money, i just shut my 3G off and only allowed Wi-Fi

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OHHHH now i get it ! kinda .. so if you're overseas and use the internet, you'd have to pay instead of using th included data in ur plan cause your not using your carrier's network .

But you could still use wifi for free right ? overseas ?

That's correct..when you roam, you can still use the Internet, but you pay a surcharge..and to put that into perspective, roaming calls can be as high 50 cents a minute or more..and data can be billed at $1.50 per KB or so..so you could easily get hit with a bill in the 100's, if not 1000's for using your phone overseas without the proper plan..

As long as you can get onto a freely available WiFi service, you can use that to access the Internet..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
So there's an option to turn the thing u use for the internet off so it doesn't cost u when you go on the Internet overseas? And just use wifi ? What's the connecting thing called ?o_O I thought 3G was to function the phone or something ..

Sorry I don't know much bout phones ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.