Separate screen and no sound on TV

Reaction score
I need help here, too.

I just purchased the following from the Apple store:
HDMI plug from Belkin
mini DV connector thingy to end of HDMI plug
Sound plug from Belkin

The picture wasn't showing at all, until I installed this program called "SwitchResX." Once I did, the picture showed - ONLY if I dragged my window I wanted displayed on my TV out of the perameters of my computer screen. So basically, my TV acts as an extended screen of my laptop - if somethings on my laptop, it's too "right" and doesn't show on the TV at all, and if somethings displayed on my TV it's all the "left" and isn't on my screen. Further, the Finder bar stays on my screen (so if I want to open a new Safari window I have to drag my mouse back to the computer side), yet my applications stay on the left - only appearing on the TV.

How do I fix this resolution issue?

Secondly, my sound plug doesn't work under the HDMI setting. I can hear sound from videos or itunes only when on Video 2, like a DVD player.

I have the white MacBook and a Toshiba TV called "REGZA"...any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are in what is commonly called 'extended desktop' mode with 2 individual screens.

Open up System Preferences - Displays - Appearance tab and put a check in 'Mirror displays' at the bottom left of the window. You'll now have the same thing on both screens.

In extended desktop, you can make the TV your primary while it is connected with menu bar and dock. On that same Appearance tab you'll see a small window with a depiction of the 2 screens. One has a white bar across the top. Drag and drop that white bar to the other screen and watch what happens. You can also rearrange the position of the 2 screens. This will affect the side of the screen you need to travel with the mouse to move the cursor between screens.

For the sound issue, I'll need the model # of the TV.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick response, I greatly appreciate it. My display problem is totally fixed.

As for my Toshiba model, I just checked in the back. It is from 2006, and model 26H L86.

Edit: So the good news is that on video 2, I've successfully turned my tv into a great living room music speaker... but the bad news is that videos, general display etc. is only on HDMI output and sound comes from the macbook itself. Wondering if I should have gone the S-video route...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
S-Video will give you what I call a terrible picture, especially on text. For only movie watching it'd probably be ok.
Am assuming you have no VGA connection on that model? The owner's manual does not show the specific back panel of your TV.

From the Owner's Manual on connecting a DVI output to the HDMI there is this warning:

20091229-exgixft18dt4dwx8bc3c4xrgan.jpg

And from the section on connecting a PC to the TV is the following line:

• Never connect a PC to the HDMI port.

I am just a semi-knowledgable guy next door that does a fair amount of this stuff and have no clue why Toshiba would put such a warning in the manual. I really don't know if it could ultimately cause an issue with your TV or if it's only there because they were too lazy or out of time to test it with computer connections in order to bring that model to the market. An '06 model would have come out in '05, and that really was in the early days of HDTV. No TV manufacturer was designing their TVs with the thought of connecting a computer to them at that time (with the exception of Panasonic and a couple of others putting out commercial displays aimed at businesses wanting to put displays in their boardrooms/conference rooms). Their primary concern was to get a TV out that could handle the new over-the-air digital tv signals and connecting one of the new fangled HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players. This was HDMI in it's infancy.

Having said all that, I "think" you're ok. But, don't blame me if your TV up and dies.

If you want to continue using the HDMI, then you'll need a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable like one of these attached to this port on the TV:

20091229-8sibt6hxmx1neexgxfxrfgrnbq.jpg

It may work automatically at that point. If not, you will need to set the HDMI audio mode on the TV. I'd try Auto first, then change it to Analog if not working.

20091229-x1gh8uqgbge3f2g8fgcr58babg.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.