G4 256 Mb graphics card question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver
Trying to upgrade my G4 Quicksilver, which has the stock 32Mb card now, I bought a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac 256Mb ADC, which I'd read was the best and fastest upgrade card for this Mac, but the connectors on the 9800 card are way too long for the AGP slot in my Mac and the ADC power tab doesn't line up either. Do I need an adapter or did I just get the wrong card? I saw a few places on the web that said this card would work with my Mac, but I can't see how, now that I have it in hand. BY the way, this card is blue and most of the ones I've seen on the web are red.
Thanks for any help on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You purchased the PCI version of the card. There is no adapter or any way it will fit or work in an AGP slot. Send the card back and exchange it for an AGP model. Make sure the ATI Radeon 9800 is for the Mac and not a PC. The ROMs are different...

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver
This is definitely a Mac card. It came out of a G5, says S/N 640446000270 MAC RAD 9800P 256M on the back sticker, and has an ADC port, which is Apple only, so explain to me please why you are saying it's for a PC? That's not the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
Your machine employs the use of an AGP slot for the video card. The card that you purchased is for a machine that uses a PCI (not "PC") slot for the video card.

Also, make sure that the card you end up with is compatible with AGP 4X.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver
File:AGP & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, I think I'm starting to figure this out, although still find it very confusing. According to the above diagram on Wiki, my G4 has a AGP Universal port and the card that I bought is configured for a AGP Pro 1.5V port.
So I guess the question now is, is there any way to adapt the AGP Pro 1.5V card to the AGP Universal slot?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
Where do you have an AGP Universal slot? Your G4 has an AGP 4x slot.

These may be the droids you're looking for:

The Mac Elite: Pins 3 And 11

You and you alone are responsible for any damage done to your machine and your video card. My recommendation would be to obtain the proper card for the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a read of this article. Sounds like you got the wrong card which is for a G5. They are AGP8X and your machine has 4x slot. The above advise is covered is this linkl but be very very careful. If the card will not fit in the slot, removing pins will do nothing for it.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP Mac Edition

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver
hmmm...on second thought...

Thanks, that last article was very helpful. No way I want to go through all that. I guess I'll just put this card on Ebay and get the correct card for my G4. Thanks to all for your time. I learned a bit here. Sounds like the card I DO have is kinda rare....figures...:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.