Insert SD card into CD/DVD slot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
OK so I did something really stupid and accidentally insert my SD card into the CD/DVD slot. I noticed something was wrong when it went in too far. I couldn't grab it with my fingers so when I tried to insert a paper clip to pull it out, it ended up dropping inside the unit.

Are there directions online in how to take apart a 27in iMac late 2009?

I tried putting in a DVD and the drive wont take it though you can hear the drive moving.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First bit of advice: Do not turn the machine on again. Leave it off! With that paper clip floating around inside it may short something out if it hasn't already done so.

As for disassembly instructions for the 27" iMac... Take it on in to your local Apple store and have them do the removal of the SD card and paper clip. You'll be charged for the labor of course, but I would not advise doing the job yourself unless you're technically qualified and have lots of patience.

Here are the tear down instructions for the iMac 27" from the folks at iFixit.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
Thank you for your time finding this link and posting it up. I use to build PCs as a hobby but that was many years ago. I still have tools to do it and the suction cups I would have to pick up at my work.

Anyways, it's really something I don't want to mess with. I found a local Apple repair shop only 3.5 miles away. I'll email them for an estimate.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
So get this... I'm about to go to the Apple repair store and when I rotated the iMac 90 degrees so that the superdrive faces the floor, a bit of the SD card is sticking out. This time it's enough for me to get a special tool to pull it out. Whew that was a close one.

I bookmarked that link you gave me though especially when it comes time to upgrade RAM or replace the hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great to hear! :) You saved a bunch of $$$ in labor alone. As for the memory upgrade, that's easy. The hard drive swap is more difficult because the entire display must be removed to get at it.

BTW, the folks at ifixit have step by step instructions for all sorts of upgrades and repair jobs. Also, you might want to take a look on U-Tube. Lots of instructional videos there to look at.

Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.