Don't bother with an Apple Mouse

Reaction score
From my experience with my not so "mighty" mouse I would suggest switchers use some other brand's mouse with their Mac. With my PC I used a Dell mouse and with my laptop PC a logitech both for over six years and never had even one problem.

With the Mac I have to try to clean the roller on the mouse every week or two in order to scroll. This is a common flaw with Mac mouses. It looks nice but doesn't work.

I'm pleased overall with the Mac, but like all such machines there are glitches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting. Have used MM for three years and yet to have to clean the roller. Are using it on a pad of some sort or just collecting residue from the desk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Mine loses the ability to scroll either up or down (normally down) once a month. Found a neat trick though, grab a bit of blu-tac and run the ball over it for a min or so.

Clears it out brilliantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21in 2.5 GHz Core i5-ipad Air-iphone 32gb
Mm

I've had my Mighty Mouse for 6 months now and no problems,fits nicely in the palm of hand and scrolls accurately.I would recommend to anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I am left-handed. I use the Logitech Marble Mouse - both on my iMac and my Win7 machine. I didn't get one well with the Mac Mouse with its tiny 'trackball'.

I also use a Logitech cordless keyboard, which has some extra function keys and is more comfortable to use than the aluminium keyboard. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've long since retired my "Mighty Mouse" for the same reasons the OP states. Very poor design, IMO. I'm actually surprised that Apple didn't do better since they invented the first rodent. A cheap Logitech purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $15.00 easily outperforms the $49 MM.

Can't speak for the Magic Mouse though, don't have one, and do not intend to have one. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I concur, Apple mice are just horrendous, more form than function. If I ever got a desktop Mac, I wouldn't even bother taking the mouse out of the packaging, I'd either leave it in there or sell it on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I don't think I would ever bother with any mouse with a roller ball in it anymore. You can get a decent wireless optical mouse for less than $25.

Reaction score
I like my new Magic Mouse. It is easy to use, but it can be a bit touchy at times. At work I have a very old logitech roller ball mouse & have refused to upgrade to any of the newer ball mice because it is so easy for me to use.

I will admit I miss the new scrolling with the Magic Mouse when I'm scrolling and changing pages with my logitech roller ball at work.

Will see how I like the Magic Mouse as time goes by. I do hope it holds up well & doesn't have too many problems down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't think I would ever bother with any mouse with a roller ball in it anymore. You can get a decent wireless optical mouse for less than $25.

It's not a roller ball for tracking the mouse - the Mighty Mouse is an optical mouse. The roller ball is where the wheel is on a mouse and replaces the wheel function for scrolling up and down a page (as well as left and right)

My biggest pet peeve with Apple mice is that even the newer ones, that claim to have a resolution of 800dpi seem to be less responsive then say a logitech 800 dpi mouse with the same settings in the control panel for tracking speed.

I do have my MM hooked up atm, mostly because my logitech that I normally use is connected to my gaming laptop so I don't have to dual boot my desktop anymore; but eventually I'll replace the mouse with another wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Jaygray- the roller ball everyone is complaining about is actually the scroll wheel on the Mighty Mouse. The Mouse itself is optical.

I regularly used 4 Mighty Mouses (Mice?) over more than two years. I wound up getting 3 replacements from Apple during that time, if memory serves. The mice I replaced were clearly defective, click functions would no longer work. As to the roller ball scroll wheel, I had to clean them every so often. I just used denatured alcohol on a cloth. That cleared up the scrolling problems just fine.

I now have 4 Magic Mouses, and yes, I like them a whole lot better. And, so far they've all worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought my first Mac about 2 weeks ago. A 21.5" imac. It came with the Magic Mouse and I absolutely love it. I think it's the best mouse I've ever used. :D

Reaction score
I didn't care for the Mighty Mouse, but the Magic Mouse on my new iMac is great. Very easy to use, and for everthing I do (which is just straightforward navigation, no CAD or anything) it's precision is sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Got a Magic Mouse for Christmas. I really like the feel of it, so I'll be sticking with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I must admit, in my opinion, Microsoft makes a mean mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I must admit, in my opinion, Microsoft makes a mean mouse.

They do. I have used several Microsoft mice, and I have been very happy with them. They feel solid, and it's easy on the hand. I think I still have one, but it required a separate dongle that wouldn't work with my Mac (no driver for it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB Ram Running Snow Leopard
I've been using my Mighty Mouse (bluetooth) for 2 years...never cleaned it. Works great! I'm really happy with it overall.

Reaction score
I also gave up on it. It was getting old having to clean it every week so I went with a mouse from radio shack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The Magic Mouse with third party software is amazing.

I've used a Mighty Mouse, and I did not like it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have only had a IMac since Dec 14, but I have already gone through two Apple mice (mouses?). The thumb roller went out or got bumpy on both.
The Magic Mouse that came with the IMac still works, but the bluetooth connection is too flakey and isn't usable in bootcamp or parallels.

Strange, since the quality of the system hardware is top notch. Now if Apple only would start making keyboards.

But an ordinary Logitech mouse works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.