iPhoto issue: Upgrade iPhoto, can't use 'old' Library

Reaction score
I have searched to see if this has been covered. I didn't find anything.

We did an auto-update of iPhoto on our Mini Mac. After the upgrade was complete, it didn't find the library. We panicked and assumed that all was lost. So, we started the rebuild process.

Long story short, after a bit of frustration, I located the Library that was used before the upgrade. However, when we use it to open iPhoto, it states the following: You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto.

For here, the only option is quit. As you can imagine, the old library is an effort of months and months. Is there anyway to use is as the default?

Please. I hope that someone has figured this out and can share the wealth.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

OSXD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I think the "changes" it is referring to is the "rebuild process" you started. It seems to think you are trying to run the older version of iPhoto. Are you? Check Software Update to see if you're missing an iPhoto update. If nothing else, you could complete that rebuild process. Then the current iPhoto should be able to use the Library.

OP
O
Reaction score
I am using the version that is installed, I guess. I am selecting iPhoto from the Apps folder.

Good news: I was able to get iPhotos open with the old library.

Bad news: When I go to import photos from the Pictures folder. When I do, I get the same error message. Now, it is grey out and I cannot select to open it... :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.