• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MacBook messing up my TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I live in Korea and only have 2 English speaking channels on TV, so I watch a lot of shows, movies, and hockey with my computer. I have my macbook hooked up the the TV using the apple mini-DVI to video adapter, and a composite video cable. The TV is new LG HDTV and should be able to handle this kind of use. The problem is that the screen gets blue on the left hand side and yellow on the right. It seems to happen most when there is an image or color that dominates the screen for some time. It happens the worst during hockey games. I think it seems like this is a refresh rate problem? I want to get a better idea of this because the TV menus are all in Korean, and my Korean is terrible. Am I correct in assuming it is because of the refresh rate? or could it be something else?

In the pic, the blue side is slightly exaggerated by the camera while the yellow side appears to be toned down.
100_0239.jpg

Reaction score
Refresh rate and screen resolution have to match. Remember that your computer screen does not produce images the same way a TV does (computer screens are way higher resolution than TV screens, and work way different), so without a conversion box between, you'll only get so much image quality. But play with the resolution and refresh rates until you get the best combination.

OP
Gaegujange Nick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to play with the settings. What kind of conversion box would you recommend?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bottom line, the best picture you're going to get using composite video on a HDTV is going to be ... pretty poor. The composite input should never have even been put on an HDTV.

Stepping up to an HDTV, you need to step up your cabling and either go with VGA or HDMI.

Make sure that model has a VGA input, then check in the owner's manual and see what resolutions the VGA input will accept on that particular model. If it will take a resolution matching that of the native resolution of the HDTV (either 1080 or 720), then it will be ok and for sure. The VGA will definitely have an audio port to go along with it. If not, go with HDMI.

If you wish to go with HDMI and want the audio from your computer on the TV, then again you will need to pull out the owners manual and verify that this TV has a separate audio input that will work in conjunction with at least one of it's HDMI inputs.

OP
Gaegujange Nick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Solid info, thanks. This TV has lots of inputs. Unfortunately the TV manual is totally in Korean and same with all the menus - and my Korean is terrible. I'll see what I can do about getting a different cable and adapter.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See if you can crossover the model # to the U.S # and then check the US LG support site for an english manual.

You may be able to crossover the model # if this is a current generation model here.

OP
Gaegujange Nick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No luck there. So far I have only been able to find the TV on Korean sites. I changed the resolution to a lower setting and the color problem seems to have subsided a great deal. Now, only things that remain constant for a while get a slight discoloration and as long as images are moving they appear fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.