Does putting your mac to sleep damages harddrives?

M

mogwai

this might be a silly question, I was told recently (by a mac technician) that putting your mac to sleep can damage hardrives, is it true?

I put my mac to sleep almost very night cause its too loud to leave it up all night and i hate switching it off and booting the following day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No, they are completely wrong. Macs are designed to sleep rather than be shut down. No worries :)

OP
M

mogwai

i was a bit sceptic about it but i just wanted to make sure as i just bought two new drives :)

OP
M

meltbanana314

Apple wouldn't knowingly implement a feature that could potentially damage the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I just put the display to sleep, ive gota quiet imac tho ;) and i sleep with a fan on.

OP
B

Badger

OS 9 has a bug in the energy saver setup that can cause a crash on waking. Eventually the crashes can cause software problems (preference corruption etc) but it does not cause hardware failure. Also, there was a firmware update for early G4s on OS 9 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120230) related to hard drive longevity.
No version of OS X has ever had either problem.

Reaction score
You will be fine putting your computer to sleep. In fact, I'd advise that over shutting it down. It takes about 2/3 seconds to start back up when it's asleep.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

This feature has been around for at least 5yrs in both PCs and Macs - drive makers design this in (fast sleep - fast wake up) -- and to me it all about saving power anyway --- the HD in my old HP did this fine for 3yrs and was going strong

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.