Airport Extreme and BitTorrent

Reaction score
I seem to be having major issues with BitTorrent speeds, and all the troubleshooting I've done so far has led me nowhere.

I have a brand new Airport Extreme, with a MacBook Pro connecting wirelessly via 802.11n on the 5GHz band. Signal quality is excellent.

I'm using uTorrent, and have it using UPnP. When downloading torrents, I can see that the machine accepts connections (green light in uTorrent), but the speeds hover around 20KB/s. If I go to uTorrent preferences and click on "Randomize Port Now", the speeds jump to 400-500KB/s, but then trickle back down to 15-20KB/s after 5 minutes. I have also tried disabling UPnP and configuring port forwarding directly, and the end result was the same -- high speeds initially, and slowly dropping to a crawl.

Is there an issue on Airport Express? I have not had this problem with my Netgear 802.11g router two weeks ago. The ISP is AT&T DSL, and they are not throttling BitTorrent traffic. I looked all over the advanced settings in AE, but did not see anything that may contribute to this behaviour.

Any help would be appreciated -- I still have a day to return the AE if it's an issue on the base station.

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.