Magic Mouse has sporadic magic

Reaction score
My magic mouse worked perfectly the first 3 weeks. Then last week it wouldn't work the two finger side swipe wouldn't work. Then it came back & worked fine till yesterday. The two finger side swipe didn't work yesterday. Now today it is working again.:Grimmace: Anyone else have any problems with their magic mouse?

I did all the checks that online support suggested...Most of them were "duh" checks. I also replaced the battery thinking maybe that was the problem even though it was at 62% capacity.

We took it back to Best Buy last night & they said they couldn't replace just the mouse but they could replace the entire system (computer, keyboard & mouse). What the h*ck? They also gave us a song & dance since we didn't buy the service package if they did send just the mouse back to Apple they would have to charge us for the new one. What the h*ck??? We still have the option to buy their service pack.

Best Buy also told us we could take the mouse up to the Apple store in Minneapolis & they could exchange the mouse. That was when I said to the store clerk, "In other words you don't stand by the products you sell." Of course that kind of got one of the clerks in a snit. He got real snippy then. THe female clerk then offered to get the manager.

I found out that Best Buy doesn't stand behind it's products unless you buy the service package. ????We have the computer less than a month. Needless to say we talked to the manager & he tried various routes to replace the mouse. Out best bet is to call Best Buy corporate headquarters.

So we will call Best Buy Corporate on Monday & we also plan on calling Apple computers.

I was a little angry when they suggested we take to the Apple Store in the Mall of America in Minneapolis. If we had wanted to drive up there that is where we would have gone in the first place.

Okay I feel better getting that off my chest. :Smirk:

Ginny

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's not the mouse. I had it happen just once and it was the driver. I did a reboot and all was fine, but before I did the reboot I tried it with another machine I have set up to use the MM on and it worked. It's something flaky with the driver at least in my tests here.

Mine has never done it since that one time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have been trying a couple of Magic Mouse Apps and what i have found is that they are very tricky when it comes to putting your fingers in the correct position to get a certain response. One App even allows the sensing area to be shifted. Might be worth a bit of experimenting

OP
G
Reaction score
I will try the reboot. I don't think it is how I'm applying my fingers. It has worked fine & then it didn't for a day. Then it worked fine again for a week & then yesterday it quit working. Now today it is working fine again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Might be better to phone apple and get a number and ship it in for replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
If you're convinced the mouse is defective, Collin Bl is right, call Apple.

My Magic Mouses (Mice?) are all working at 100%. I have 4 of them. They are SO much better than the Mighty Mouse. Don't be discouraged.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well it has been working the last few days now. I don't want to mess around with it if I don't have to.

You can bet we are not going to deal with Best Buy again though. The next Mac will come from the Apple Store in the Mall of America. I am going ot call Apple about the mouse to see if they have been hearing of any issues with it.

Ginny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.