Question about downloading programs...

Reaction score
I just got a brand new macbook and want to keep it running as smoothly as I can. I want download a game which is about 10gb's big. If I download this game, use it for a bit, and then delete it after a month or so, will my computer still run as fast as it did before I downloaded the game? Or will there still be a little lag or something left over even if it's off my harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Who knows? Is it a legal download?
No reason for it to affect things really.

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah it's legal haha. just someone recently told me that even when you delete a program or something off your hard drive, it'll never be as fast as it was before you downloaded it. so i dunno if i should be holding back on downloading things that take up a lot of space, like games and movies.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Most programs don't leave enough stuff behind to worry about. There may be a preference file or two left behind in the /Library/preferences folder. There are programs such as AppZapper that try to remove all traces of a program.

I download a lot of stuff to try etc. and haven't really noticed a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.