IMAC G5 intel based - starts and shuts down - HELP

Reaction score
I have an Imac G5 intel based and have been having this problem for a few days now and am frustrated...

Starts up fan is loud - gray screen/logo/spinning wheel then shuts down

I have tried many things zap PRAM and.....starting up from install disc and tried to repair it - my hard drive was grayed out and was imposiible to do

Did the FSCK in terminal and it said it failed

Just to not I have been plugging commands into terminal and wondering if there is a command to default it to its original settings and start all over

Thanks for all your help!!!!:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You either have a G5 iMac or and Intel iMac, not both.

Which is it?

I'd say it is either the logic board or the HDD. Have you added any RAM lately? Do you have any 3rd party RAM in it at all? If so, remove the added RAm and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is still under warranty, I'd contact Apple. Even if it's not, I'd still take it to an Apple store and let them look at it.

OP
M
Reaction score
ikes ok - I just tried to repair disk under utilities with start up disk and the HD is not mounted and grayed out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's probably the Hard Drive then, but it could still be the board. There are tutorials about how to open the case and replace the drive, but I just recently took my wife's out of warranty iMac back to Apple to let them replace it. I know I don't have the patience for opening that case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Sounds like the hard disk has died to me. Please say you have backups...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, it's probably the Hard Drive then, but it could still be the board. There are tutorials about how to open the case and replace the drive, but I just recently took my wife's out of warranty iMac back to Apple to let them replace it. I know I don't have the patience for opening that case...

:) Good friend of mine just did the same thing and he's been working with Apple machines from back in the days of the IIE. For the life of me, I don't know why they made it that way. Seems to me they could have followed the MBP design where the HDD is much easier to remove.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.