What to do?? Mac Pro or iMac i7 or...

s3p

Reaction score
My wife just bought me a Mac Pro 8core to replace my G5 w/the Power PC chip. Was it a good move? I'm a photographer in need of some speed n power, but I'm thinking it was an over kill. Not to mention, I started it up and my 30" cinema display blew out. :Grimmace::Grimmace:

Asking advise from any and everyone. What should I do, keep it or get the iMac i7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I feel mine is overkill, also use it for Photography.

If it was available in January when I bought mine I would've gone for the 27" iMac w/i7. Photoshop and Lightroom can't make use of 8 cores and the iMacs can take a lot of RAM now too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
It is a hard choice, but I think I would stay with the mac pro due to some of the issues the iMac is having. I love the mac pro, but decided the iMac was a better investment for me as I don't need all of the power of the mac pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is no such thing as "too much power" but there is such a things as "too little power". Be happy with your wife's gift. Besides, the Pro is a lot more expandable and upgradable in the long run...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM
i would sell the mac pro and get the i7, since your 30 blew out and all...the i7 is what i have now. i dont have yellow/flickering screen and i got mine on the 22nd of dec. runs/looks like a charm. its fast enough for me (programmer) ad i have 8 gigs of ram. i thnk 8 is the most you can get for the money. i mean if you want to pay through the nose for the 4x4 gig sticks then be my guest. other than that i like the fact i dont have a tower at my feat or taking room on a desktop somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.