MacBook stuck in clam shell mode

Reaction score
I had a problem with my laptop where the lcd on the monitor does not always work, presumed to be due to a loose inverter cable or something similar to this. As a temporary solution I have been using an external monitor for the past few days. Depending on whether the laptop lcd is working, I have had it on both mirrored and dual monitor settings.

However, this evening when I have come to use it, the external monitor is now the only one that is working. Options to turn off mirror display have now gone. Also, the button on my mouse pad no longer works, yet the pad itself does.

I have come to the conclusion that my laptop is in 'clamshell' mode. It remains on, and does not sleep when I close the lid. I have put it to sleep form the apple menu, disconnected the external monitor, and the opened the lid again, and when it turns back on from sleep, the screen flashes on for a second, but then goes to sleep again. I have tried turning it off, restarting, taking the battery out, everything I can think of, but unless the external monitor is connected it almost immediately goes back to sleep.

Any ideas guys?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try resetting the PRAM. Immediately after turning the machine on, press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until you hear the system chime twice. If that doesn't do the trick, I would consider opening it up and checking the LCD flex cable, tracing it from the back of the screen to the system board. Inverters are a common point of failure too and they are typically very easily replaced.

OP
A
Reaction score
Try resetting the PRAM. Immediately after turning the machine on, press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until you hear the system chime twice. If that doesn't do the trick, I would consider opening it up and checking the LCD flex cable, tracing it from the back of the screen to the system board. Inverters are a common point of failure too and they are typically very easily replaced.

Thanks for the fast response. I've reset the PRAM, or at least think I have. Did it multiple times... Hasn't helped I'm afraid. If I turn the laptop off, disconnect the external monitor and turn it the laptop on again, the laptop screen remains on until it gets to the login screen, and then it goes to sleep. I wouldn't feel too confident taking it apart / would have no idea what to do, so any other suggestions.

Also:
Rather bizarrely, I restarted my computer this morning after an update, and it was working fine. Connected the external monitor again and it worked okay for about a minute. Then, all of a sudden, the computer went to sleep, came back on and now it is in clamshell mode again. It wasn't doing this when I first got the monitor, no idea what could have changed!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, I think your problem may be more severe than you originally thought. Without being able to check the hardware, I'm afraid there's little else you can do at this point.

Check out the guides on iFixIt.com, it might not be all that bad if you're handy with a screw driver.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. I just struggle to see any logic as to why the laptop screen is capable of working, and does when it turns on, but then goes to sleep, and why it's fine with an external monitor plugged in. It is displaying all the signs of being in clamshell mode, but is unable to come out of it. Thanks for your help though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.