Cloned 160gb hard drive Problems.

Reaction score
I used data rescue 2 to clone my old 160gb hd to my new 1TB drive. Both internal. My computer boots from the new 1tb fine but my computer only sees it as a 160gb drive? What are my options? I tried to start the computer from the old drive to format the new drive and partion it but the computer will not boot with both drives hooked up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The version of Disk Utility included with 10.5 (and better) can resize partitions non-destructively. It sounds like Data Rescue 2 made an exact clone, including partition size. It should just be a matter of resizing that partition in Disk Utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Lol I have 10.4.11. My version of DU will not let me partition it bc it is the boot drive. The new drive does work great though!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I would do, assuming that you haven't made any major modifications since the cloning operation, would be to boot off the old drive. Then, format the new drive. Once you've done that, use a tool like SuperDuper to do the cloning operation. SuperDuper does a file-by-file clone, rather than the entire partition. So, you'll get the entire capacity of the disk once the clone is complete.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried that but my machine will not boot with both drives installed for some reason. Even if I hold down the option button and choose the drive I want to boot from.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What model of Mac is this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do the drives use SATA connections?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe those drives are hot swappable. So, boot the machine with only the old drive connected, then once the machine has booted, attach the new drive. Then format the new drive, removing all partitions and use SuperDuper to backup the old to the new.

OP
M
Reaction score
so do I just attach the new drive in the 2nd bay or take out the old drive and attach the new drive? BTW I have tried booting from the old drive and then attaching the new drive in the second bay and nothing happens.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you need to be able to boot the machine off the old drive and leave it in so that the machine stays running.

If that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, my next step would be to connect the new drive externally and format it that way. But you'll need a tool like this. Any good computer shop should sell these for about $20.

OP
M
Reaction score
lol thanks. I did not think that removing the current drive would be possible. I ll get one of those connectors.. I have used them before to get data off an old hd from my laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.