VM Fusion3 pc2mac issue. HALP!

Reaction score
just got a new unibody macbook totally unexpectedly for christmas from my wonderful parents. :D

loving my whole mac experience so far. everything just... works! lol, and this glass trackpad is pure bliss. however i am also an avid user of a Zune HD (say what you will, but i love it to freaking death and flat out refuse to switch back to any iPod, period) and since the Zune software only works on PC i will have to use something like parallels or fusion3. no problem, it's an awesome concept anyway!

so i download the 30 day free trial Fusion3 and try to run through the setup. i then see that i can migrate my existing physical PC onto my mac as a virtual machine. SA-WEEET! as long as the PC is within the same network or connected via cat5 i should be able to import all my music/photos/etc. i decide to do that but hit a pretty big snag.

the setup software on my mac tells me i need to enter the administrator username and password. no problem right? considering that it's my PC and i should be the administrator anyway, but it keeps telling me that it's failing to login on and gather information because the username and/or password is incorrect. blasphemy!

so i'm pretty much stuck here now. anyone with good knowledge on VM's stuff think they can help a noob out? i tried the trial of parallels too and same problem.

Reaction score
did you try your mac username and password? Honestly i don't know much about the migrate feature you're trying to use.

However, if you like the virtual machine thing but don't want to pay for VMware.. virtual box (http://www.virtualbox.org/) is an open source (free program) which works just as well as VMware. There is no migrate feature though and youll have to reinstall the OS on a virtual machine to get it working.

Seeing as how you're only going to be using windows to run the zune software that might be a more affordable option for you in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
When you switched the computer on and ran through the initial 'setup' process and at some point you would have entered a user name and password.

Simply enter the password you set into the dialogue box and leave the user name alone as it will be your account anyway.

You will find loads of apps will require you to enter this password at some point during an installation process, think of it as a security thing.

HTH.

OP
M
Reaction score
lol, nonono, i don't mean the username and password for my new mac. it asks me to enter the administrator username and password for my PC when the VMware software tries to log in remotely and "gather information". then when i enter my log in info that i normally would for my PC it just spits out a fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.