Firefox installed and running but not listed in applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
The title pretty much sums it up. I downloaded and installed firefox but for reason it's not in my applications. I can use the program but i can't find in the the applications. There is even and icon for the program in the dock. What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you opened up the removable disc icon that has firefox on it where did you drag the file? You should have dragged that to the Applications folder.

You are probably just running it from its disc image

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Remember that is how you will install most of your apps from now on. To uninstall, just drag the icon out of the apps folder and into the trash.

Reaction score
Must be somewhere, have a good look around. Type 'firefox' into the search window, that should help.

Reaction score
Your most likely running it off of a disk image. Or, it's stored where you store all your downloads. Try a search and see if you can find it. Then, move it to your apps folder. Always install apps by dragging them into the apps folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
I think I put firefox into my applications. i still have a few icons on my desktop that I don't know what to do with. One is the Firefox icon(.dmg file), another is Stuffit exp, another is windows mediainstaller.bin, stuffitexpander902.dmg, and windows media installer. Where can i put these icons. i tried to make a folder in my home folder and move them there but they are still on the desktop. Can i simply put these folders in the trash and get rid of them?

Reaction score
First of all, I suggest you create a dedicated downloads folder. Then tell all your apps to download to this folder. I dont like having all that stuff on my desktop(personal opinion). Then, when you install apps, like others said, drag it to your Applications folder. Some apps wont run from the .dmg.

Then you can either trash the .dmg, .sit, .bin, whatever or save it to CD if you need to keep it. I keep things downloaded in a seperate folder til it's about 600mb, then burn it and erase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
to find the exact file, do this:

when firefox is running, right click on its icon in the dock and click "Show In Finder"

done

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
if i eject the firefox.dmg file will in uninstall it from the computer. all i want to do is get rid of the .dmg icon. i can't move it to another folder but i can eject it. is it safe to eject without uninstalling it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
copy the file inside the .dmg (Firefox) to ur apps folder. Eject the dmg. From now on, use the firefox in ur apps folder for browsing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
what are the advantages of safari? How can I make firefox my default browser?

Reaction score
firefox usually ask you do you want me it your default but if not it is some where in the prefrences

Reaction score
To change the default browser, run Safari, open it's preferences, general, first pop-down menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.