Battery Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
ok i was looking for a battery back up that will shut down your computers when the power goes out. i have seen this type of software for windows comp but i dont know if they make the equivalent for a Mac, could some one please help me out here.

Reaction score
Have you made an decisions on which battery back-up to purchase? I have an iMac 24" LCD and desperately need CLEAN power. This is all new to me (I'd naively thought my surge protector was enough, but not for rural Alaska) so I'm looking for advice before I purchase. I was hoping there would be more responses to your post. It seems like most (all?) of these UPS systems don't work as well on Macs. I'd be very interested to hear if you've learned anything that would help me. Thanks - and good luck!

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
well i have no research as much as i'd like but i am thinking about buy a backup made by Best Buy. it is a surge protector as well as a battery back up that will last for 76 min. it cost $100 but i get it for $54 since i work at Best Buy. but if all you need is a surge protector Monster makes some very clean power running ones..

i really wished more people would have responded to my post but no one did..

Reaction score
Good luck!

Thanks for responding so quickly! Maybe I'll post a new thread and see if it grabs someone's attention. Happy New Year!

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
APC, Tripplite both some good battery backup if that is what you are looking for.i am going to get the $99 one at the top of the page bestbuy.com. look at some of these. b/c i work at best buy doesnt mean i am trying to sale best buy stuff. check ebay if you can find them cheaper there get it there.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just got one today from Best Buy the one i stated earlier... turns out it comes with a usb cord that will let the comp know when the power is out and you can configure your settings to turn off when the UPS kicks in...

and these are the power settings under "energy saver preferences"

Screenshot2009-12-31at21104PM.png

this is under shutdown options

Screenshot2009-12-31at21116PM.png

Reaction score
I will advise that you go shut the breaker off after setting this system up and see if it does what you expect...most do only in theory and actually do not actually shut down anything on macs....APC and Cyberpower are the worst offenders in not delivering when i tcomes to mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.