black screen whenever i turn my macbook on

Reaction score
ive read about this problem happening to other people, but it seems like its a little bit different for everyone. when i start it in target mode hooked up to another mac i can get into everything on my bad mb, i still hear the chime and the keyboard must be working since i could start it in target mode.

it seems like most people had to get a new logic boad, is there a fix i should try before i send it in? and if i send it in, i have alot of private info not only for me but alot of other people that should really remain totally private. so if i send it in do i need to worry about that being seen? is there anyway i can keep it private when its being repaired?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
can you get it running on a external monitor?

That is a very good question!

If it does work on an external display, try shining a flashlight on the laptop screen and see if you see a dim image. I am wondering if it's some Backlight issue.

Also just to be sure so please don't take this as making fun of you, is the brightness up all the way? There are two F-Keys on the keyboard. I believe F1 and F2.

OP
S
Reaction score
im pretty sure its not a backlight issue, cause i cant see anything when i hold it up to a light. and yes i made sure it wasnt the brightness being all the way down.
i should also say that i was having screen trouble before this, it would sometimes go blank while i was using it, then it would come on later or id have to restart and turn it on. and finally one day when i went to turn it on, there was no screen and i havent been able to get it back.

OP
S
Reaction score
so based on what ive been reading, theres a really good chance i need a new logic board or something like that, since the same things been happening on macbook pro's from around the time i bought mine.

so looks like im gonna have to send it in somewhere, but does anyone know how i can transfer all my files onto my external HD and take them off of my computer? i cant have any of mine or my customers info seen. so i need to get it off of there somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.