Ipod Touch won't play apps

Reaction score
I've got a new ipod touch. When I reset the ipod, I can download apps and run them. Once I sync with itunes, the apps are still there, but will only open for 1 second and then return to the home screen.

I have reset the ipod 3 times now. All three times, the apps will work until I sync with itunes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
^^ Bump

Yes, I am having a similar problem. Native applications (Calendar, Weather, etc) will open perfectly, but any apps downloaded from the App Store or from iTunes will not open. The splash screen appears for a split second, then disappears. Have tried re-downloading the apps, still no luck.

The iPod is a 2nd gen (volume buttons/speaker), firmware version 3.1.2 (7D11)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
I used to have this problem. And every single one of my apps wouldn't open so I re downloaded them and they worked fine. But then every time this happened, it meant I would have to get every single app again so I figured if I download something from the app store, it'd still fix the problem. So not sure if it'll work on your iPod Touches. Mine is a 2nd gen as well :) Restarting the iPod might help ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Thanks for the reply. I will try re-downloading them, but this time after wiping the device. I will try this out tomorrow, and post my results up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm not sure how much help this will be cause I'm not sure if the touch even has the same options but it might help if it does.

I've had this very same problem with my iphone 3g and the only to thing to full fix the problem was the wipe my phone completely clean and completely reinstall the operating system. Do NOT restore any of the settings from backup or it will be the same as before.

For me this fixed everything and also made my iphone run much smoother and bumped my battery life up as well big time.

I HOPE this helps a bit!

Good luck!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I was going to just wipe the whole device clean. Would I have to delete the downloaded apps on the computer and re-download them? Or after wiping the device would it be okay to sync them again?

There arent' too many applications (a screen's worth), so if I can re -download applications I bought without being charged again, then I will do that as well.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I tried deleting the apps and donwloading them again, and it worked until I synced the iPod to my computer. I tried the restoration, but they still didn't work. I made sure my computer was authorized (it was), and they still didn't work. I was able to download them from my computer, but they didn't work after I synced them to the iPod touch. I would like to know what is wrong with my iPod. My cousin got the same thing for Christmas and he isn't experiencing any problems with his iPod touch. I wonder why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, found the fix. This is what I did:

- Updated iTunes to it's most recent version
- Authorized computer to account
- Restored iPod to factory settings
- Re-downloaded all applications from Apple Store (make sure you write the names down so you remember them.
- Synced iPod

Problem solved.

The others also were right, but this is exactly how I fixed it. Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.