Is it possible to add audio line in to Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
I noticed on Apples site that it says:

Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)

Does that mean there is only one port for audio out for headphones, and not any ports for audio in for a microphone? Or does that mean that the one port can do both features?

Does user-selectable analog audio line in, mean that you can opt to have two separate ports for audio in and audio out? And if you can't, is there an adapter you can buy, so you can have separate audio in audio out ports?

Questions galore...

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Late 2009) 4Gb Memory
From what I read so far is that you indeed have just one port which recognizes line in and line out by itself. About your problem with needing both ports at once.. I guess there are some line in/out -> USB converters? I don't know really, I hope someone else can answer this one for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
If you are going to using headphones and a microphone at the same time on your Mac, your best bet is to get a USB or Firewire external audio interface. The interfaces have less latency and cleaner sound when recording analog to digital.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
Thanks for responding everyone, but I still want to know why on the Apple site it says, "user-selectable analog audio line in".

Does that mean you can choose to have two audio ports at time of purchase?

Reaction score
No. I believe it literally just means that you "user select" when you plug in audio in device or an audio out device into the port.

If you're using a microphone though your best bet is to do what JUKE said and get an external audio interface. They generally sound incredible...especially compared to how bad the line in on the MB sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
x3 on Juke's suggestion.

The port can take either input or output signals but not at the same time...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.