Zip Compression Problem when Opening in Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Hello,

I am using Leopard on a Macbook Pro and Windows users are having a problem opening up compressed folders of photos.

I use the option in the right click menu to compress the folder and then email or upload the zip file. They are saying that it is opening a folder which contains multiple folders that say something like Mac_OSX with unreadable files. Some users who are more advanced are able to extract the photos from the correct folder.

I never had this problem on Tiger and would like to correct it.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem occurs because when compressing folders hidden files might possibly get included. Those are the ones that are showing up when uncompressed from Windows. Make sure when you compress a folder no hidden files are present. You may have to turn on viewing hidden files in order to do that though.

I use a handy OS X file manager called "muCommander" (freeware) that shows all hidden files when the application is running. Makes it easier to organize files and also shows you where everything is. The Unix file system is easy to navigate but can be confusing if coming from the world of Windows or DOS.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Hi chscag,

Thanks for the reply. I should've mentioned that I already checked for hidden files and folders and that there were none at all. I use a little applescript that turns hidden files on and off.

Thanks though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.