Macbook randomly freezing

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Late 2009) 4Gb Memory
Hello all.

I have a problem with my Macbook (Late 2009, 4GB Memory). First I'll describe some context. It all started 2 days ago. I got a external 1,5TB disk (Brand: WD Elements) which I wanted to use for back-ups using Time Machine. So far so good. I did the initial run with Time Machine where I had to format the external drive and do the initial backup (130Gb in my case). This did took a while but eventually I think it went well.
However, ever since this day my Macbook has strange problem which I can't locate or manage to solve by my self (I have limited expertise with OSX or Macs). The problem is the following:
Random processes freeze. It's not specific one application which freezes all the time but it seems random. I get the colored spinning wheel of death and I can't do anything with that process besides waiting and getting angry. This has happened with Safari, Mail, iChat, Activity Window, Disk Utility, Spotlight, Tweetdeck and iTunes so far.

I tried the following solutions, all leading to not solving the problem:
- Repair disk permissions
- Verifying disk
- Rebooting
- Turning off Time Machine and unplugging the External HDD

I've been inspecting Activity Window and can't find anything that shouldn't be there.

Oh, I am using my Macbook in Clamshell with a external monitor, mouse and keyboard. But the problem occurs when using the Macbook normally too.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?

A million thanks in advance.

- Bram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi Fub/Bram - welcome and i have no idea what the problem is, but in your place having done what u have done my next step would be to run the Combo updater and see if that helps. Other area that might help go into Sys Prefs and re select the Ext HD for TM or delete drive then re select same drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Maybe something in your Login Items list is trying to get your attention.

OP
F

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick answers guys!

@Collin Bl: I tried the updater, no succes there. Reselecting helps the problem for a small amount of time but within minutes it starts to act weird again..

@VegasGeorge: In my login items is just one application: iTunesHelper. I don't think this is the cause of my problems, can it be?

Im not a terminal hero at all, but are there any command which can help me locate a problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im not a terminal hero at all, but are there any command which can help me locate a problem?

I don't believe terminal commands are going to help. What you've described sounds very much like a hardware problem. Freezing is usually associated with bad memory, hard drive, or video problems.

Run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and use the extended test method. See the following LINK

That will test the memory along with hardware components. If your machine is still under warranty, you might think about making an appointment with Apple to have them look at it.

Regards.

OP
F

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe terminal commands are going to help. What you've described sounds very much like a hardware problem. Freezing is usually associated with bad memory, hard drive, or video problems.

Run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and use the extended test method. See the following LINK

That will test the memory along with hardware components. If your machine is still under warranty, you might think about making an appointment with Apple to have them look at it.

Regards.

Hello

Thank you for your response. I did the AHT, both the basic and the extented. Both turned out that there are no hardware failiures and it works as intented.

Further more I reinstalled OS X and copied my backup from yesterday back on it.

I also ran OnyX and cleared all the cash memories etc.

None of the above helped. Booting now takes about 5 minutes longer then it used to and it still freezes randomly. I'm totally clueless about what to do now. Should I just get it to a Apple premium reseller and let them fix the problem? Or is there anything more I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Did you try it out after reinstalling OSX and before copying your backup onto the HD?

OP
F

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try it out after reinstalling OSX and before copying your backup onto the HD?

No, not yet. This will be my next step. Do you think it's possible that corrupt files in my backup cause this problem?

OP
F

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, freshly reinstalled OSX SL and copied the most important files from the TM backup. It seems that it's all working as it should again. Though I can't help myself to be abit worried. Should I still go and visit a Apple Premium Reseller and tell him about the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, freshly reinstalled OSX SL and copied the most important files from the TM backup. It seems that it's all working as it should again. Though I can't help myself to be abit worried. Should I still go and visit a Apple Premium Reseller and tell him about the problem?

No. If your machine is covered by warranty, you can always make an appointment and take it on in if it acts up again. Random freezing is seldom caused by software although it can happen.

Keep your fingers crossed. O:)

Regards.

OP
F

Fub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.