Buying a IMAC 27inch today or tomorrow...defect?

Reaction score
Ive heard about the recent defect of the screen flickering on the 27 inch imacs...with that being said, if I order a 27inch imac today or tomorrow will it have the defect when it comes or will the screen be fine and fixed? I know it says ships within 2 weeks on the site and was wondering when it will arrive...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple is aware of the defect and has been replacing those machines with the display flicker. There have been some other minor things which have also come up but I don't know if they're wide spread. You might want to peruse the Apple User's Forums here and do some reading. Use the search function for: 27" iMac

Personally if it were me, I would wait awhile before ordering a new 27" iMac. Give it a month or two before ordering - if you can.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I would also recommend waitng a month or two to make sure all the problems are resolved. I got my 27" iMac yesterday and it is perfect so far but I think I got lucky. If you do order now and it does have a probelm, apple will gladly replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
you got and iMac Mac Pro...lol.

i ordered mine a month b4 they started shipping. i was lucky i guess i have not had any problems ...{gets on knees and prays, "dont let anything happen to my iMac"}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8GHz Quad Core i7
I received my iMac i7 on the 18th which was ordered on black friday, and absolutely no problems so far.

I have not installed the firmware update 'cause "why fix it when it ain't broken?"

Anybody else have other ideas?
I don't want to take the chance with this firmware update.

OP
H
Reaction score
What happens if I order a 27inch imac today?

Will I receive one that has a defect with the screen flickering or will my imac be fine?? I do not want to wait any longer and was wondering what would happen...I live in Canada and not close to an apple store, so if there was something wrong do I just send it back? Also is the 3 year apple care warranty worth it?(if it breaks do they fix it for me?)
THANKS!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We can predict the future just as well as you can, since Apple is aware of the crop of issues that have arisen with the 27" iMacs the hope is that by the time they ship yours out they've resolved all the problems and if there are software fixes, like the one for the screen flicker, they'll make it available as well.

Having said that, if you're not close to an Apple store and all that, you might want to wait for a couple of months just for good measure..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple will gladly replace/fix your iMac if it has any screen flicker or any of the other problems. If you do not want to wait any longer, buy now and take the chance of having to return it. I took the chance and ended up with an iMac that is perfect. So it comes down to if you would rather wait and have a smaller chance of there being a problem, or take the chance of getting it now and having a higher chance of having to return it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Apple will gladly replace/fix your iMac if it has any screen flicker or any of the other problems. If you do not want to wait any longer, buy now and take the chance of having to return it. I took the chance and ended up with an iMac that is perfect. So it comes down to if you would rather wait and have a smaller chance of there being a problem, or take the chance of getting it now and having a higher chance of having to return it.

im pretty sure theyll have this problem fixed because they are not shipping my imac out till the 15th of january.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you got and iMac Mac Pro...lol.

i ordered mine a month b4 they started shipping. i was lucky i guess i have not had any problems ...{gets on knees and prays, "dont let anything happen to my iMac"}

Yeah, I was originally going to get a mac pro until the new 27" iMac came out and I couldn't resist. I couldn't be happier with my iMac. It has been awesome so far and hasn't had any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im pretty sure theyll have this problem fixed because they are not shipping my imac out till the 15th of january.

I wouldn't be suprised if your iMac shows up a week early or even more. Mine was supposed to be delivered on the 29th and showed up on the 16th. It was a nice surprise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Don't double post, you only needed to ask once...

OP
H
Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprised if your iMac shows up a week early or even more. Mine was supposed to be delivered on the 29th and showed up on the 16th. It was a nice surprise.

already my order says prepared for shipment...how long does it take after that?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged Duplicate Threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.88 Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2TB HD, 512 ATI Raedon
It's ridiculous and AppleCare does not take care of the issue with the screen flickers... or the fact that mine came with a few dead pixels. Be aware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's ridiculous and AppleCare does not take care of the issue with the screen flickers... or the fact that mine came with a few dead pixels. Be aware.

Strange, because I have heard from many people that apple was happy to fix or replace their iMacs. I don't know why it wouldn't be the same for you.

Reaction score
first iMac flickered. replacement iMac flickering. Firmware update didn't work!

I would strongly recommend holding off on buying any of the new 27" iMacs. My first machine (ordered at the end of November) had a badly flickering screen. And now the replacement machine is doing exactly the same thing!! I installed the Apple firmware update yesterday but it has made no difference. I'm still getting flickering today. So now, i've ordered another replacement. This will be my 3rd 27" iMac since November!! I'm not holding my breath that it will work though and if it doesn't, I'll give up and return it for a full refund and wait for them to actually correct the problem with the next issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2013 iMac 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB / 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel core i7 / 1TB flash storage
I believe that I have a flickering 27" iMac. I purchased the unit on 12-26-09.
I love the machine, but after using it for an hour or so it intermittently blacks out for a millisecond and comes right back on. This happens erratically and i can't associate anything i am doing to when it occurs. I shut it down, diconnected my peripherals (back up hard drives, etc.) and it didn't correct.

Assuming Apple takes it back and replaces it, what happens to everything I have on it (programs, e-mail, preferences, etc.)? Can that all be retrieved?

Thanks for any help with this. Upsetting.

/Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Got mine delivered xmas Eve and have had a busy month working on it during which I noticed flicker - and got occasional blacking out for fractions of a second. Not impressed. But I was too busy to investigate the problem until this weekend. Now I find this thread:
Apple - Support - Discussions - New iMac 27inch screen ...

And it's clear that it is an issue Apple are more than aware of. I'm about six days out of the thirty day period for no quibble return, but believe me I'm going to quibble quite a lot. Apple should have informed buyers of the potential fault. As it's clear my machine was doing this right from the start. It also has the yellowing in the bottom right quarter of the screen.

Not great when you work in video editing.

Very annoyed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.