Ok, strange question but..imac +pacemaker. Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook -2.13 Ghz, 160 GB hard drive
My mom needs a new computer, and we've been really interested in the imac 21.5.
However, my mum has a pacemaker-and I've read that it has magnets that hold on the screen...like 12 or 14 of them. Would this cause interference in the pacemaker?

I don't really know how strong something like that is, but my mom spends a lot of time in front of the computer since she's a writer. I don't know if all LCD monitors use magnets to hold on the screens, but this concerns me.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your need to refer this question to your mother's cardiologist. Unless someone who posts in this forum is one, how can we be expected to answer a medical question like that?

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if someone has one of these devices and still uses an imac, that would be a start to getting an answer, I would think.

I don't think it's an unreasonable question to start with. Obviously I will ask her doctor, but it doesn't hurt to get some opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I cant speak for anyone else, but I would never answer a medical question ! Who would want that responsibilty ?

Sorry
clay

Reaction score
I have a pacemaker and and Imac, no problems. Never heard of a problem.

I would guess that unless you are leaning the pacemaker directly against the screen the exposure to the magnetic field would be minimal as such things intensity is inversely proportional to square of the distance between them. In lay terms it means that the intensity falls off extremely rapidly with distance.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Cycle, this is the kind of insight I was looking for. Real experience w/ the imac and the device. Also, that's what I was trying to gain some clarity on..the distance of the magnets vs the pacemaker. It is what I thought.

Very helpful.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.