PS3 Controller Wireless Connectivity

Reaction score
Hi All,

Following on from this thread, http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/138792-ps3-controller.html , which I believe was prematurely closed without the thought that there are games on the mac other than emulators, I'm wondering if anybody's had an success connecting their PS3 controller to their Mac.

I've heard that with Snow Leopard Apple have published drivers so that it works wirelessly, but I have had no success and it doesn't show up as a bluetooth device.

Is anybody better at this bluetooth malarky than me? :)

Thanks

Reaction score
a ps3 controller doesn't run on bluetooth... though ps3's are bluetooth... the controllers have a different type of wireless connection that runs on different channels. Have you tried just plugging it in through usb? thats probably your best bet to get it to work.

Reaction score
Connect a PS3-Controller to OSX 10.6.2 via Bluetooth - IT WORKS !

Download the attachment, connect the ps3-controller via USB to your mac and press "Apply".
Disconnect the PS3-Controller from USB, press the "PS"-Button on the PS3-Controller an goto the Bluetooth-System-Preferences.
It should be paired via bluetooth now.
For reusing the PS3-Controller with a PS3, connect the PS3-Controller via USB to the PS3 and press the "PS"-Button on the PS3-Controller.

Attachment is compiled for OSX 10.6.2 64bit

View attachment iPS3.zip

Reaction score
can not pair controller

I downloaded and patched a ps3 controller, it recognises it as bluetooth device but I just can not pair the controller with my mac,
help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Search and download for test:
gamepad companion

• Connect your PS3-Controller(s) via USB to your Mac
  • Start iPS3
  • Press Button to Patch the connected PS3-Controllers
  • Disconnect the USB-Cables from the PS3-Controllers
  • Start System Preferences -> Bluetooth
  • Wait few seconds
  • The Playstation Controllers should be visible and connected now
  • Start Gamepad Companion to test

In my bluetootsettings i can see the "PLAYSTATION(3) CONTROLLER" as "CONNECTED" with the green light/led and i can configure it with the gamepad companion. So that i can use the PS3-Controller as mouse.
Download the demo of gamepad companion to test it.
I tested iPS3 on a imac,macmini and on a macbook air.
It works fine.

Reaction score
Help!

I followed the above instructions and my macbook recognizes and synced with the ps3 controller but it does not work during a game.

Reaction score
Tested this out on Privateer Gold, works like a champ! I have a Saitek X36 joystick I prefer to use for sims, but this is perfect for on-the-go gaming. Thanks, guys!

Reaction score
One HUGE warning, guys: if you do this on a MacBook, ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE PS3 CONTROLLER IN THE BLUETOOTH MENU WHEN YOU'RE DONE. If you leave the PS3 controller connected and let your MacBook go to sleep, it'll start to get REALLY hot. My CPU peaked at 130 degrees before I noticed.

Don't ask me why this happens. It just does.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried the IPS3 patch, but it says that it failed. What should I do? I have a school laptop so the bluetooth won't turn on (which is stupid). Any suggestions/other methods to connect my controller?

Reaction score
Pairing w/ controller

I've done the steps with the iPS3 but when I go to my bluetooth preferences the controller says it's connected but a pairing passcode is required. I typed "0000" because apparently and normally that is bluetooth pairing default key however after this process the controller just turns off and nothing gets connected. I've done this several times yet I have no luck. If someone could suggest something then please, get back to me.

I'm running on an iMac 27" OS X Lion Version 10.7.2
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.