Flaming Ibook!

M

Mdanner423

Hey,

Thought you might be interested in this. I came home Thursday to see an ibook, burnt, and melted to the table. The house was covered in black stuff along with my puppy! The ibook battery had exploded and bursted into flames causing the rest of the laptop to burn and melt/burn the table it was on. Luckily the table was away from the wall or the house would be gone! Watch your ibook, I never thought might could burst into flames but it apparently can! Check out the pictures!

http://photobucket.com/albums/y23/Mdanner423/

--Matthew

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which Ibook? New? Old? Your link does not work as it wants a password. The older Ibooks had a recall on the battery I seem to remember.

Reaction score
Puppy ? Burnt ? or Black ? Need more information on your Puppy !!!

Horrible, hope your insured. Was it lying in the sun ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
It was the PowerBooks that had that recall. I never heard of any iBook (nor PowerBook, for that matter) "burst into flames"...

I think this guy just wants to start a flame here...first post, pretty unbelievable thread with a non-working link, and putting "flaming" in the title...not very credible to me. :eek:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avalon said:
It was the PowerBooks that had that recall. I never heard of any iBook (nor PowerBook, for that matter) "burst into flames"...

I think this guy just wants to start a flame here...first post, pretty unbelievable thread with a non-working link, and putting "flaming" in the title...not very credible to me. :eek:

I was wondering also but did remember some battery recall so thought I would see what he said. I want to see a REAL non Photoshopped picture of this burnt up IBook. Also there WAS a post here not too long ago with an IBook that poured out smoke and Apple sent him a new one.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17639&highlight=Ibook+Smoke

There was the post. That is what made me wonder at first.

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the Puppy !!!!!!! poor thing !!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
dude is a liar. he's a mac hater. :)

OP
M

Mdanner423

You guys crack me up. A link doesnt work and I'm a mac hater? My family has had a mac since 1986, and will continue to have one. I just fixed the link. You people need to be a little more polite, I hope you arent this way in the real world. Chip, the puppy is great! He went to the vet and got antibiotics and lasix and is in good shape, he was covered in black when my mom got home though. I was away at college and came home that day to see it all. Crazy. Insurance is taking care of everything. I'm not 100% sure on the Ibooks specs. I know it has like a 30 gig hd, 2 usb, 1 firewire, CDRW/DVD Drive. The insurance company is talking with apple on the situation.

OP
M

Mdanner423

Mr Bobbins said:
Puppy ? Burnt ? or Black ? Need more information on your Puppy !!!

Horrible, hope your insured. Was it lying in the sun ?

The puppys is fine! The laptop wasnt lying in the sun, was just on an a table between the couch and recliner.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it did not burn down your house. Those pics are crazy! You can see where the thing started to burn, right where the battery is. How long have you had the IBook? Did you buy it new? I am just trying to find out if it's an older model.

OP
M

Mdanner423

Mdanner423 said:
We did buy it new, I'm thinking like 3-4 years ago.

I looked it up on apple-history.com and I am pretty sure it is the "Late 2002" Mode.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mdanner423 said:
We did buy it new, I'm thinking like 3-4 years ago.

Keep us informed as to what happens. I wonder what Apple will say?

OP
E

EvoMac

Im working overnight at my job and had to show them your pics, we are all amazed at that. Some reason I keep finding myself glaring at my ThinkPad (work laptop) more then usual tonight. At least noone was hurt.

You guys crack me up. A link doesnt work and I'm a mac hater? My family has had a mac since 1986, and will continue to have one.

I've been here since Feb and you would be surprised how many idiots go through the hassle to create an account just to come on and write a post or two saying "mac stinks / pc is god" stuff like that. That's why people jumped the gun on that.

OP
M

Mdanner423

itloser said:
Im working overnight at my job and had to show them your pics, we are all amazed at that. Some reason I keep finding myself glaring at my ThinkPad (work laptop) more then usual tonight. At least noone was hurt.

I've been here since Feb and you would be surprised how many idiots go through the hassle to create an account just to come on and write a post or two saying "mac stinks / pc is god" stuff like that. That's why people jumped the gun on that.

Ah well thanks for taking the time to actually talk to me instead of jump the gun like that! Yea, isnt it the craziest thing? Everyone I have showed has been like hmmm, i am never leaving my laptop alone or, "i smell another recall". I hope it is an isolated incident and it will never happen to anyone else!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mdanner423 said:
Ah well thanks for taking the time to actually talk to me instead of jump the gun like that! Yea, isnt it the craziest thing? Everyone I have showed has been like hmmm, i am never leaving my laptop alone or, "i smell another recall". I hope it is an isolated incident and it will never happen to anyone else!

If I leave my laptop on for days at a time I usually take out the battery. Some studies have shown if it's left in and the machine on for long periods of time the heat makes the battery not last as long.

After your Pictures, I am GLAD I do that now!!

Reaction score
Dude, thats crazy.... sucks for the iBook. Good thing it wasnt near a curtain and caught fire...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
I think I'm gonna bubblewrap my ibook and put it in a bucket of water when I'm not around, hehehe.

This is the first time I'm seeing a burnt ibook....I hope you didnt have important stuff on the HD. Also, as said, keep us updated on what Apple says on the matter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.