"CleanMyMac"

Reaction score
I just downloaded this app and am thinking about using it. It looks like it could free up a lot of space on my machine and improve system speed. I just don't want to remove anything that may cause a problem for me or may be something I need. It says it removes caches, logs, language files, universal binaries and extensions. Is it safe to get rid of this stuff or will it ultimately cause a bigger headache in the end? Has anyone ever used this app on their mac?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I've used it a couple of times and played safe by removing the fairly obvious stuff, like 'Development junk', 'Logs', 'Language files' and 'Caches' - so far without any problems arising. I think this kind of program is geared very closely to what is safe to remove and if you click on the side panel with the icons you get a pop-out frame on the right that tells you about it. I wouldn't use it, for example, to remove applications. I'd just drag them to the trash and then use App Killer to get rid of the remaining files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't like the application. Too many things to go wrong too simply imho. Installed the trial version and removed it and sticking to MainMenu v. 1.7.4.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just downloaded this app and am thinking about using it. It looks like it could free up a lot of space on my machine and improve system speed. I just don't want to remove anything that may cause a problem for me or may be something I need. It says it removes caches, logs, language files, universal binaries and extensions. Is it safe to get rid of this stuff or will it ultimately cause a bigger headache in the end? Has anyone ever used this app on their mac? Thanks!

Depends on what applications you're currently using. If for example, you should decide to get rid of the language files and you have MS Office on your machine, you will be unable to update it without reinstalling.

Applications like "CleanMyMac" and "Monolingual" may eventually cause trouble and really do not save that much space. Large hard drives are inexpensive and easy to install. :)

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends on what applications you're currently using. If for example, you should decide to get rid of the language files and you have MS Office on your machine, you will be unable to update it without reinstalling.

Applications like "CleanMyMac" and "Monolingual" may eventually cause trouble and really do not save that much space. Large hard drives are inexpensive and easy to install. :)

Regards.

Agreed. I used Monolingual for maybe a year. Ended up affecting 3 applications that would no longer run. Of course I didn't realize it until some days later and didn't put 2 and 2 together. Took several hours of troubleshooting to get them running again. Monolingual was promptly removed.

Those apps will only free up about 2 to maybe 6GB of space. If you're getting to the point of that much space making a difference, it really is time for a new larger drive imho.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It's not really a matter of saving space that I'm concerned about. I have a TB which is a little over half full. The system itself is just running a lot slower than when I bought it a little over a year ago. Is there anything I can do to speed it back up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks everyone. It's not really a matter of saving space that I'm concerned about. I have a TB which is a little over half full. The system itself is just running a lot slower than when I bought it a little over a year ago. Is there anything I can do to speed it back up?

Run OnyX. It's free and does a very good job of maintence cleaning and many other things.

Regards.

Reaction score
faster mac

darthklob: I just read ure question about getting faster mac. i get that and just like having a new mac, and what i want to tell you is this: Use external harddrives, and dont let ure HD be full. Actually less than half full. Just use applications that you use, and if you only may use a app in some cases, just wait install it before u need it. And most of all, Diskwarrior is the thing. Belive me, using diskwarrior is real magic. boot up ure mac with diskwarrior and run it every week. And I mean every week :)

This few steps make my mac always be as fast as when I just have installed the os.

Best luck from Norway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.