Where can I get cool 'free stuff' for my macbook pro? Free Apps/Backgrounds/ ect.

Reaction score
I know there are some cool 'things' that I can get for my mac but have no idea what is available.

What cool things I should get?

Where can I get them from? (Free)

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
There are bunches of Web sites that offer applications downloads, but the two I'd recommend are Apple Downloads and MacUpdate. Those are probably your safest bet.

Also, there are some cool mini-applications often called menulets that stay in the menubar and provide simple functionality. Here's one list of those; look and see if any interest you. Also, be sure to check out the Dashboard section of the Apple Downloads page. If you enjoy using Dashboard, there are tons of widgets there that will help you out.

I love InterfaceLIFT.com for background pictures. If you're looking for Apple-related backgrounds, I'm sure a Google search will find you as many as you could possibly imagine (and then more).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 4gb memory 250 HD
I found some software here, Open Source Mac. I downloaded Adium (chat), Open Office, Audacity (audio editing), QuickSilver (launcher app), Gimp (Photoshop replacement), Nvu (website editor), VLC (audio/video player, plays nice with windows files). Also Skitch is free for screen captures and is pretty neat. I use Evernote for note taking and sync it with my PCs and iPhone.

Reaction score
WOW!!!! Thanks for the "Open Source Mac" suggestion!!! I DL'ed Gimp and it does everything I need Photoshop for!!! That has officially converted me 100% to Mac now and there is not ONE reason I need my PC for anymore, Woo Hoo!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.