is this imac good enough?

Reaction score
my mates selling a 24" imac, 3.06 ghz, 4gb ram, 260 harddrive...is this good enough to run pro tools? I dont want a lot of lag when there are a lot of tracks....i plan on starting off with an mbox then move up to the 003 rack...this computer should do the job right? What things to look out for?
Thanks for the help but sorry for the nooby questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro2.5 8gb RAM
what is the bus speed? If its 1033 MHZ or faster, that will be a quick system. You don't want a slower bus speed than that (when purchasing now), pro tools or not.

Not sure about pro tools though, I just wanted to chime in about the bus speed because that 3.06 ghz is a big number, but means much less if the bus speed is 800mhz vs 1333 mhz.

Reaction score
Its plenty to run PROTOOLS but if you late rwanted to upgrade from LE to HD you couldnt. Also dont think you will want to jus trun protools especially if your going to do hire out work. youll need to be in the realm your clients are comfortable. Logic is much more friendly to newbies as well.

Get in the habit of using external drives for storage and for your time machine. yes two seperate drives. use the onboard drive for running programs alone

OP
P
Reaction score
btw dont mean to sound stupid but why wouldnt it be possible to uprgrade from LE to hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
In order to use ProTools HD you would need to install core cards into the computer. Mac Pros are the only apple computers that are able to use these. iMacs aren't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.